Friday, December 10, 2010

Shouldering the Responsibility

I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I've never been so excited to test my mettle as I am right now! 

I met the president of the Mon-Yough Trail Council at the Dead Man's Hollow clean up a few months ago.  While I had her ear I suggested a race on the Yough River Trail to benefit trail maintenance and expansion.  We parted ways with promises to stay in touch and work towards making it happen.  I was doubtful that it would happen but hopeful still.

I decided that if a race was going to happen I had better present a strong case to the Council.  I approached Kevin Smith, owner of Elite Runners and Walkers, and he suggested I plan a 5k and Half Marathon to maximize the attraction.  He gave me a list of criteria to consider and then graciously offered to be the presenting sponsor before there was even a race to be sponsored.  I feel so blessed to have Kevin helping the Trail Council and myself untangle the mysteries of race directing!

To make our ideas reality I approached the Mon-Yough Trail Council president, Judy Marshall, at the beginning of their monthly meeting.  She was very pleased that I was still pursuing the race and offered to give me the floor to present my ideas.  I have never been very good at public speaking but I guess I did well enough because they voted to approve the race, unanimously!  Wow! 

 Judy took it upon herself to approach the Regional Trail Corporation for approval.  Thankfully there was no problems and all we have to do is fill out an event form!  Judy, Kevin, and myself will be meeting this week to work out the details, design an application form, begin marketing, and PICK A NAME!  Yes, we still need a name for this race!  Please kindly give me all your ideas!

Now I am frantically searching for a timing company, photographers, food, water, volunteers, race schwag, radios, and the like.  I really hope I can make this a race memorable for all the participants and make it an annual event.  Having a race in my own backyard is going to be amazing, even if I'm directing and not running! 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete