Sunday, April 8, 2012

Guest Post: Learning to Live Through Cancer

I know I've been a bad blogger lately. I have three race reports to get up and I swear I'm working on them. But while I'm busy with my real life I found the amazing story of Heather. She blogs here. I thought her story was inspiring and wanted to share it with all of you. I hope you'll show Heather some love!

November 21st, 2005 was a day that changed my life forever. That was the day I was diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma, a deadly form of cancer. I thought of my three and a half month old daughter as I heard the words and felt the world come crashing down. In that moment, I realized that I had a life-threatening illness and that I was strong enough to battle it.

I was referred to Dr. David Sugarbaker, one of the world's premier mesothelioma doctors. During my time at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Dr. Sugarbaker gave me hope in a seemingly grim situation. At the time, I had read somewhere that only two percent of mesothelioma patients live more than five years after being diagnosed. I made the decision to be part of that two percent and to battle the cancer with everything I had. My daughter's future depended on it.

My determination grew over the next year as I put everything in my mind, body and soul into fighting the mesothelioma. My parents cared for my daughter while I underwent major surgery in Boston almost 2,000 miles away. Surgeons removed my left lung and took the tumor out with it.

Following the surgery, I underwent months of chemo and radiation therapy while raising Lily. Thanks to the loving support and help from my friends and family, my daughter never realized how sick I was during that time. On her first birthday, we celebrated both her life and mine. I completed my last round of radiation therapy eleven months after receiving my diagnosis. Since then, I have remained determined to stay free of cancer.

My battle with mesothelioma has changed my life. I have learned to take nothing for granted and to see the beauty in small things. I smile more and see life differently than before my diagnosis. Now, I find joy in Lily's giggles, the playfulness of a puppy and the brilliant colors of a rainbow in a grey and rainy sky. I have learned that life must be lived fully and passionately.

My journey led me to some incredible people. Some of these special people never made it to remission, while others supported their loved ones in their struggle with mesothelioma. To me, these fighters are passionate warriors that amaze me with their tenacity and inspire me with their stories of resilience and hope.

Having cancer has taught me to live life completely by enjoying every second and every experience that comes my way. I still find gratitude, even on the worst days. My experience with mesothelioma taught me how to live this way.

1 comment:

  1. I've read this story of Heather and find it very inspirational. Thank you for posting it again. I am sure there are many afflicted with the same cancer and find it helpful in their own lives.

    ReplyDelete