Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Apres Moi Le Deluge

This isn't really running related besides the fact that it's interfering with my running. But I think we all understand how the weather can affect us and our communities and bring unexpected disaster. The last few weeks my tiny town has been drenched by heavy rains and thunder storms. Despite living near the river we rarely have flooding but this summer it's not the river that's the problem.

It's the sheer volume of water that's been dropped on such a small area.



Driving out to the main road.
 

The road to our house.
 
Water shooting out from the underground lines
 

End of the road
 
The creek under our running trail
 

The drainage ditches can't handle it
 

Playground or pool?
 

Even the trees can't handle any more
 

Storm damage on our trail
 
 
I'm not really sure what the point of this post is besides wanting to share my sorrow. I've lived in this town for about as long as I've ever lived anywhere now. Our family is here, our friends are here, our running trail is here. Everything safe and familiar has been turned upside down. Every time I hear a clap of thunder in the distance I shudder and wait for the next downpour that will bring more devastation. I honestly don't understand how the surrounding towns are escaping with little more than wet basements while we are bearing the worst of every storm but the rain can't last forever. And so we wait for the sun.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment