Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Focus on Recovery

One thing I'm finding with increasing my mileage is a need to focus on diet and recovery like never before. Every day there's something sore and DOMS is my constant companion. I've been asked if I'm pushing myself to injury. The answer is.... I don't think so. It's more just that my body is adjusting and being pushed beyond the limits I gave it. I felt a lot like this the day after running when I started with the Couch to 5k program in 2008. Now I'm running 5-6 days a week so I feel it every day.

So how do I continue to increase my mileage while running quality sessions a couple times a week? The answer is multifaceted and complex. It's been a mix of hydrating properly, eating a cleaner balanced diet, sleeping more, and seeing professionals for help on the things I can't do myself.

On the hydration and diet note, I'm not an expert. I know what I've learned in school and what I've picked up from many, many books, articles, and studies. What I've found works for me is not counting calories but focusing on eating healthy, natural foods. Lots of salads with some protein on top (diced ham, chicken, or seafood), whole fruits and veggies, and simple recipes without lots of added butters or oils. I've been going through my pinned recipes on Pinterest looking for ones that I can make in a short time with common and simple ingredients. Roasted sweet potatoes, oatmeal berry bake, paleo oatmeal cookies, etc. And then I drink water with every meal and snack but only to thirst. I don't force it. So far, so good. I feel like I'm losing fat and getting more toned but I'm not willing to weigh myself and check. I'll let my performance on my runs dictate whether I've 'improved' or not.

As for sleep, I am a glutton. I would sleep 10+ hours every night if I could. What I've been doing is going to bed as soon as the kids are asleep (not just in bed but actually asleep) which usually equates to 9 or 9:30PM. I don't necessarily fall asleep right away but I get off my feet and relax with a book or magazine until I'm ready to sleep. I also set my alarm for the last minute possible. I'd rather be rushed in the morning than miss another 15 or 20 minutes of sleep. I just need that extra rest lately. I've even taken naps once or twice in the last couple months and I never nap.

I want to be able to sleep any where, any time like my kids!

But the biggest changes in my routine have come from massage, chiropractic adjustments, and Graston treatments. Everyone is familiar with massage even if they've never had one. I had never had a professional massage but I figured it was worth a shot because stretching and foam rolling weren't giving me the results I wanted and needed. My first massage was fairly gentle and the second one was deeper. I honestly didn't mind either way. The first one was more relaxing but the second one really helped with the muscle pain and soreness. I imagine I will request different things from now on as I feel the need arise.

The chiropractor may or may not be familiar to most athletes. Adjusting your spine to create better health can sound a little folksy but it's worked for me. I've been going on and off since my sophomore year of high school when I was diagnosed with rotational scoliosis (not only is my spine curved, it is also twisted). At first I went a few times a week but, as time elapsed and I began to strengthen the muscles, I found I needed fewer adjustments. Once I started running I needed adjustments more often to ward off injury from an uneven gait. Over time I've whittled the number of appointments back down but with heavier training I'm going more often again to be safe.

Graston tools

The Graston technique is the newest weapon in my arsenal against injury. My left knee has been tight since the Marshall University Marathon. It wasn't getting worse and it wasn't getting better. Getting adjusted and a massage helped but it was still there so another runner suggested Graston. I made my first appointment two weeks ago not really knowing what to expect. 

The Graston technique uses the tools above to break up scar tissue and the like in the soft tissues. This promotes blood flow and flexibility and healing. Some people told me it was really painful and some told me it was only mildly irritating. The doctor told me that it seemed to be related to the amount of scar tissue in the area being worked on. So I went ahead and let him try it on my calves and IT bands. Wouldn't you know that the areas that haven't bothered me it actually tickled? I giggled and had to try not to accidentally kick the doctor. I'm sure he thought I was an idiot!

But then he hit the top of my calf muscle near the back of my knee and I almost jumped off the table. The pain was unexpected after the ticklish sensations of the other areas but once I got ahold of myself it only took some deep breathing to make it bearable. The doctor said he could really feel the scar tissue in that area and he grabbed another tool to go a little deeper. It was pretty intense! But at the end of the hour I only felt sore as if I had done a hard work out. Nothing I haven't been walking around with for the last few weeks anyway.

Post-Graston bruises

That night I walked instead of ran to promote blood flow without further damage. There were some rounded bruises in the worst areas but nothing too bad or painful (thankfully it's winter so I can wear long pants!). I ran the next day and my knee was about 75% better. After the second visit I'd say it's 85% better. I have one area of tenderness left and I'm hoping the third visit will (almost) cure it. Based on feeling better and improving on my runs, I would definitely recommend Graston for anyone dealing with soft tissue/muscle pain. 

And that's what I've been up to outside of running! 

What do you do to aid recovery? Have you tried massage, chiropractic, or Graston? 

1 comment:

  1. I would love to know how you found where to go for the Graston treatments? I think I need something like that.

    ReplyDelete