Wednesday, December 18, 2013

She Get It From Her Mama!

It's been a week from you-know-where. Nothing has gone right and I've felt like a total failure. I still ran a good bit more than I had in the last few weeks but nowhere near what I was hoping. Thankfully my mother had the cure for my melancholy!

I bought us a family membership to the YMCA so we could all enjoy a year of health and wellness. My mom had yet to use her membership so she asked me to go with her today. I was more than happy to have a reason to head to the gym and not be accompanied only by my iPod.

My mom's always been there. And I've always looked just like her!
 
We decided to do some cardio first and took side by side treadmills. She walked, I ran, and we chatted about anything and everything while we got our endorphin rush going. Thirty minutes later we headed over to the weight machines. I'm just going to admit that I had never used the machines at the YMCA prior to today.
 
Intimidation is a horrible feeling. There's always a couple high school or college athletes lifting the whole stack. And then there's me... I know I'm not that strong. And I know I won't get stronger without lifting. But it still didn't overcome my fear of being laughed at (just like what happened at the globogym I used to go to).
 
My mom was always active (and pretty hot too!)
 
But today, with my mother by my side, we walked over there and explored the equipment. Then we made a plan for our workout and went to it. And the best part is we could still pass for twins, at least when it came to strength. We went set for set and rep for rep at the exact same weight, neither of us able to outdo the other.
 
I think I've found my new workout partner (who's been there all along).
 
 
Is fitness a family affair in your home too?

1 comment:

  1. I had fun today. Missing my weight machine (I hated to give it up when we moved, but it just wouldn't fit)... glad to see that all my work on that thing over the years has not disappeared. Maybe I'll catch the running bug and keep up with you there.

    ReplyDelete