Monday, March 7, 2011

I'm really bad at this....

Apparently blogging and my schedule just don't mix.  Thankfully I realized today that this site isn't blocked from work and I can catch up on everything I've been doing!  Since I last posted I have run two more races: the Frigid 5 Mile in January and the Runnin' Outta Our Mine 5k in February.  I set a new (post-baby? I don't remember what my 5 mile time was before!) 5 mile PR with a 55:13 at the Frigid and an all-time PR for the Mine 5k with 29:55! 

The Frigid lived up to it's name with some snow and ice and temps below freezing.  The hill at the end was absolutely killer!  I was running about a 9-10 minute mile pace but that last hill just killed everyone.  It was about a half mile long and I'm pretty sure it was just as high!  LOL.


The Mine 5k was so freaking cool!  The entire thing was run underground with only the finish line at the mine entrance.  At first I was really disappointed because the starting line area had concrete floor, finished walls, nice lighting, etc.  But by the 1 mile mark we were running on dirt and rocks with rock walls and limited lighting and I was in my glory!  I still can't believe I managed to set a PR on such a crazy, winding course!  It was just switchback after switchback and it was all I could do to stay upright through the tight turns on the loose gravel.  The potholes and uneven floor made it even harder to look anywhere but right in front of your feet.  I didn't take any pics in the deeper part of the mine and I wish I had.  But if I had to choose between pictures or a PR I'll take the PR!  I really wish I had made an age group award because all the winners got hunks of mine rock on a wooden base with a gold plaque on it!  They were amazing and I want one really bad!  I will definitely have to repeat this race next year.



Since then I was focusing on marathon training.  I say was because I just signed up for a 50k on a whim.  I now have 12 days to train to run 31 miles!  Eek!  Not sure what I was thinking but I'm sure I'll survive even if I do come in DFL!  I've been working my long runs around 70 hour work weeks and trying to figure out my pacing, fueling, and hydrating.  Succeed Amino doesn't seem to agree with me and I haven't taken the S!caps yet but I'm really hoping they're the key to keeping my electrolytes balanced on these long runs.  I picked up a Nathan HPL 020 vest and so far I think I really like it!  I can't wait to give it a try along with my Amphipod and UD  handheld water bottles. 



Last but not least, I picked up some new books!  Dean Karnazes "Run!" and Lisa Tamati's "Running Hot".  I finished them both within days of receiving them and I have to say they are both really inspiring!  I love reading about runners and I could use some recommendations for some new reading material if you know some great ones!



Happy trails all!

No comments:

Post a Comment