Sunday, January 11, 2015

Bits & Pieces

The past week has been CRAZY! But in a really, REALLY good way. I have so many things going on that I am excited about and that motivate me to keep moving forward.

Obviously the biggest change has been having a job that is FUN. I spent 4 evenings hanging out at different DICK'S Sporting Goods locations meeting runners and talking gear, training, nutrition, etc. Life really doesn't get much better than that! You can find me January 17 & 18th at the McCandless DSG from 10-2 or so.

This week's events included our replica bridge, catering from Bistro on the Go, the DICK'S Pittsburgh Marathon's Registered Dietitian on site, 20% off your entire purchase at DSG, and a raffle for a free hotel the night before the marathon. I haven't been clued in on what we'll be offering at the next events but I'm sure you don't want to miss it!

Our table and bridge replica

Bistro on the Go catering

The other major priority in my life has been training. I'm hitting the gym every day, snow or ice or sub-zero temperatures. I finally got into the BodPod again (last time was in September 2011) and got some great results. I've lost almost 3 pounds of fat and gained 5.5 pounds of muscle. I imagine I started this program pretty close to where I was in 2011 (22.8% body fat) because I was still neglecting resistance training and eating whatever I wanted. So for 8 weeks of actually watching my nutrition and exercise these results are fantastic!


I've been getting a ton of questions about my nutrition. I'll admit that I'm being VERY restrictive to the average person. I honestly enjoy the challenge and the results speak for themselves. But here's a peek at what some meals look like for me:

Tilapia, sweet potato, and asparagus

Chicken breast, sweet potato, and mixed veggies (and water, of course!)

I use a lot of different seasonings and try different recipes often to prevent boredom. But I still do not drink anything but water and protein shakes or Shakeology (I still have a coffee with Stevia in the morning). I don't eat much red meat. I don't eat white or processed carbs (no bread, no white rice, no white potatoes, etc). I only get a small amount of starchy carbs (like sweet potato and corn). I get 4-6 oz of lean protein per meal (chicken, fish, whey powder, etc) and unlimited veggies. It's not always easy to pass up chocolate, cake or brownies, bread sticks, or pasta but the results are absolutely worth it and I feel amazing. Just for the energy and mental clarity I've gained I would recommend trying to eat 85-90% clean for a month. I bet you'll stick with it.

Finally, the rest of my time is spent studying for my ACSM Certified Personal Trainer exam. I love my gym and the employees there and I am hoping to be one of them come February. I was super excited to be at the top of the 'Frequent Flyers' board for the first week of the year and have now made it my goal to be #1 for the month. Going to a gym where the members and staff are all excited and happy every day makes a HUGE difference in my motivation. 

Tied for #1!

I hope the first part of 2015 has been great for you. Please feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions about my plan or things you would like me to cover in future blogs. I'm hoping to start a few recurring items each week that will help everyone get on track (and stay there!) for the new year. 




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your training! Great achievement and having followed a very restrictive diet before, I know what it is and mean! I wish you all the best for 2015, it sounds it is starting great and you are on track to achieve these challenges!

    ReplyDelete