Thursday, October 14, 2010

I hate it but I love it...

I ordered the P90X workout DVD's and they arrived today.  I couldn't bear to pass up giving it a whirl right away so I skipped the fit test (I'm a runner, I have to be fit enough right?) and just took measurements and a before video (camera battery is dead) and then went straight into Day 1.  Day 1 is the Chest & Back DVD followed by the Ab Ripper X DVD. 


Now I never have had any upper body strength but I felt that my abs were pretty okay.  Wrong!  Apparently I'm even weaker post-baby then I remembered.  Push ups have always left me drained and gasping for air and I've never managed a pull up in my life so the chest and back workout completely shredded me.  It was 53 minutes of sheer torture.  And I loved it!  I've heard that some people think Tony is annoying but I didn't think so (of course, anyone is tolerable for one hour though).  I really enjoyed watching the Tony and his crew zip through exercises I can barely manage while daydreaming about being able to keep up.  I don't have much hope of ever looking like they do but I sure can aspire to perform like they do!

Moving on to the abs was like a breath of fresh air.  The first 2 sets of moves I flew through.  I was starting to feel smug about my advanced core strength.  I will NEVER let myself believe that I can keep up with P90X again!  As soon as we moved into crunchy frogs and V-rollups I was mush, and it wasn't even half over.  The oblique V-ups cemented my place on the floor where I remained for several minutes after the 'completion' of Ab Ripper X. 

Thankfully running is always there to bring me back up when I'm down.  A slow (very slow) 2 miles on the treadmill perked me back up and helped me breath in a somewhat normal fashion again.  I hate to say it but I'm already looking forward to Day 2 and Plyometrics...

And in case you're curious, I promise to post my before pics/video and measurements once I have some results to post next to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment