Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Alternative Medicine

I have always kind of looked sideways at people that tell me about their herbalist, acupuncture guy, chiropractor, etc.  I guess it's the pessimist in me, "If REAL medicine can't fix it then how do you think that voodoo will help?!"  But since my last pregnancy I've started to realize there may be more to it than I know. 

Around 35 weeks into my pregnancy with Ashlyn I developed preeclampsia.  In a desperate effort to avoid induction I tried tinctures, old wives tales, recipes, and acupuncture to start labor naturally.  I actually did get some good contractions going a few times and, after the acupuncture, I contracted for three days.... until I went into the hospital for some good old fashioned Pitocin at 39 weeks.  DOH!

I figured since I did get SOME results from all those things during pregnancy I should be a bit more open minded post-baby.  After all marathon training is half faith right?  Faith in my body, faith in my training, and faith in my own inner strength.  So, after a few days of a nagging back ache I decided to use that open mindedness and make an appointment with a chiropractor. 

Well one hour and about 30 adjustments later, I feel great!  My chiropractor is a lot like myself, active with kids and largely dedicated to the areas trails and parks.  We discussed the best trails for running, hiking and children.  We talked about our kids who are similar in age.  We even realized we have the same degree of scoliosis (yes, I knew I had it already!).  And all the while I barely noticed that he was manipulating my spine into odd and crazy contortions.  After about 40 minutes of pushing, pulling, and stretching my back he hooked me up to a TENS machine and zapped those pesky, spasming latissimus dorsi into submission!


Walking out of the office I felt about an inch taller and I no longer felt like my legs were unequal.  My nagging runners knee wasn't screaming quite so loud and my SI joints didn't cry for mercy when I got into my Jeep.  On the drive home I felt relaxed, almost sleepy despite the huge amounts of caffeine I consumed this morning.  Maybe there is something to this alternative medicine stuff after all!  Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.  Either way I'm going back Thursday for another dose!

Oh, and did I mention the chiropractors in this office are super cute?!

No comments:

Post a Comment