Sunday, February 9, 2014

Runnin' Outta Our Mine 5k ... Again

I've run this race every year since it started. I'm a little bit over the whole underground running thing but I knew Paul would get a kick out of it so I had signed us up for our first race of the year. The day before the race my babysitter fell through so we ended up bringing Gem with us and she decided to run too.

Race morning was pretty laid back as the race doesn't start until 11am. We arrived at 10 and got Gem registered and our bibs pinned on. Then we hit the bathrooms and walked around and saw a few friends. Mostly we just sat on a curb and waited.

 Paul and I as INKnBURN pirates 

 Gem and I before the race

A few minutes before 11 we went outside and gathered around a fire barrel to stay warm while we waited for the start. When the race started (I never heard a gun or horn or anything!) I grabbed all of our coats and threw them in the snow off to the side. We all ran up a hill for a quarter mile or so and then into the entrance of the mine. It was such a relief to get into the 55* interior after the 18* run up the hill. 

Gem did really well the first mile. We passed the clock at about 11 minutes with only one or two quick walk breaks. The second mile she started to get a little tired and we took a few more walk breaks. Right before the two mile clock we finally reached the water table which pacified Gem for just a little longer. The second mile clocked in right around 12:30.

Running through a mine

The third mile was Gem's undoing. She walked a lot more and even began to cry. I was a little tough on her because I knew she was going to act up. Every 5k she's ever done she has thrown a fit and wanted to quit in the third mile but I can never talk her out of doing them in the first place. I'm pretty sure a lot of the other parents probably thought I was a jerk but I know Gem can finish a 5k and I wasn't pushing her too hard.

Rubble

We finally turned a bend and were back on concrete floors. We could feel the fresh breeze from the mine exit and Gem perked up. Her pace picked up and we managed to make it to the last bend with only one more walk break. Then the finish line came into view and she started to sprint hard. I guess she couldn't wait to be done!

Area of the mine used for boat storage

As soon as we crossed the line in 38:07 (a new PR for Gem!) she threw up. I was a little horrified but kind of proud that she has the drive to push to the finish. She was upset about throwing up at first but as soon as she was handed a water and a cookie she cheered up. Then she got a few congratulations from bystanders on pushing so hard (and a few finish line puke stories) and she began to brag to everyone that talked to her about it!

Overall, this race is poorly organized and I'm not that thrilled with moving the start/finish outdoors in February. But I'm glad I've been able to share it with Gem and Paul now. Hopefully next time we sign up for one it can be puke free!

No comments:

Post a Comment