Sunday, May 8, 2011

It's been one week....

Yes, I have Barenaked Ladies "One Week" stuck in my head:
http://youtu.be/fC_q9KPczAg

And you know why?  It's one week to my first marathon!  EEK!  I did (most) of my last long run today, 6 out of 8 miles.  (I'm going to try to do the other 2 plus a little later tonight.)  I'm looking over my training and I'm just not sure it's there.  I'm doubting my training, myself, my motivation, everything.  I know it's just taper madness.  I mean, I've only got 9 miles scheduled between now and marathon day!  It's time to ice, stretch, massage, drink my reGen, and trust in myself.  Woosa! (If you haven't seen Bad Boys 2 you are seriously missing out!)


On top of that, school starts back up tomorrow.  I am so ready to be done with this process.  I want to start that 'real adult' chapter of my life where I get a job that doesn't make me cringe, get a paycheck that doesn't feel like I've sold my soul, and frying my DNA with radiation isn't a prerequisite.  All I have left of my classes are the ones I don't want to take like finance, accounting, etc.  Math isn't that hard but it's boring and time consuming.  And concentration and time are two things I seem to be running short on lately.  I'm going to have to get into survival mode very quickly if I'm going to pass the next couple semesters.

On a happier note, I am loving CrossFit!  I'm even thinking that maybe I'll move my focus from endurance running to CrossFit competition after this year's races are completed.  I've only been working out with my box for a few weeks but I'm already seeing (and loving!) changes.  My arms have more definition, my quads are now thicker than my knees, and my abs have a very slight line on either side!  I may never have a six pack but if I can prove that I still have abdominal muscles after two kids I will be very satisfied! 


And we can't forget that Burning River 100 Mile Endurance Run is looming over the horizon!  I'm excited, scared, and determined all at the same time.  I've completed 35 miles on foot and doing almost 3 times that just seems slightly surreal.  I'm leaning on all of the ultrarunners I know to help me get my pacing, fueling, hydration, and planning down.  Thankfully the ultra community is filled with wonderful people who are happy to welcome newcomers with big dreams (and small muscles!).  I'm still terrified but I'm getting more excited with their encouragement every day!

So on this Mothers' Day I just have to say that I'm so grateful to have been given the opportunity to be a wife, mother, and ultrarunner.  I may not always enjoy my many roles and sometimes my enthusiasm gets me in over my head but I stay focused on being the best role model I can be for the two little girls that call me mommy.  No matter what happens with my marathon, my ultra, my CrossFit, or my school I will always be mommy and that's a pretty awesome thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment