Monday, August 6, 2012

Workin' Overtime

The last few days have been crazy! Friday was my last day with my job. I was a little sad to go but I'm SO excited for the future!

On Friday I got word that a magazine would like me to write 10-20 articles on running, cross training, choosing shoes, etc. I'll hold off on saying which magazine until I actually see my work published but I am over the moon! In fact, I'm so stoked that I've already written and submitted two articles and have the third in the works! I apologize if it takes me away from blogging for a bit but this opportunity is just too big to pass up!

I tried to celebrate by running but it was just too darned hot on Friday! I ended up with 6 miserable miles at a pace that barely counts. Saturday I wanted to race but once again it was just too hot! I rested instead and felt better for it. Sunday my plan called for racing a half marathon. I woke up at 4:45am and made breakfast. While I was eating I checked the weather and saw it was already 80 degrees with high humidity. I immediately crawled back in bed.

Luck was with me though! Midday some storms rolled through and the temperature dropped to 75. It was glorious! I headed for the treadmill to do a time trial on my own. If you remember I set my half PR (2:17) during the Savannah Marathon so I knew I could do better. I just rarely choose half marathons for racing. I set out at about a 2:10 pace and decided to see how long I could hold it. Around 7 miles I started nudging the MPH up .1 every mile or so. My treadmill resets at 100 minutes so I had to do some quick math when I hit 13.1 to figure out my time. 2:08:35! A huge PR and I didn't even have anyone to race! I really can't wait for Baltimore now!

13.1 treadmill miles done!

Today I started my new job. Well, really it's my old job. I'm back out in the field getting down and dirty with welders. I forgot how draining it is to be on your feet all day but it feels good not to be sitting in a chair for 9 hours too! I'm really excited to be back to a hands on job and have the ability to make overtime again.

After work I headed for CrossFit. Today's WOD was Tabata Something Else. If you don't know what Tabata is, you HAVE to try it! It's wicked hard! Basically you do an exercise as fast as you can for 20 seconds and then take a 10 second break and repeat until you puke, pass out, or die. For Tabata something else you do 8 Tabatas each of pull ups, push ups, sit ups, and squats. It's 16 minutes of pure Hell! I ended up with 73 pull ups, 67 push ups, 71 sit ups, and 101 squats! Plus I did a rope climb for good measure.


It's not easy to smile after a Tabata workout!

To make this week just a little better I arrived home to find a package from GNC. I didn't even wait to eat dinner before I ripped into it! Look for a review coming soon! Now I'm off to get the baby to bed so I can make the ViewSport Twitter chat tonight at 9PM EST. See you there!




1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the mag deal! That is a super cool deal if it gets published. What is ViewSport Twitter chat about? Crossfit?

    http://freew67.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete