Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dedication vs Obsession

I had to let go yesterday. It was hard but it was also the right thing to do. After sweeping and pacing at Burning River 100 I was already tired. Running all night will do that to you. Then I went to CrossFit on Monday. I probably shouldn't have but I needed it (Yes, I might need to go to rehab for this addiction). Monday was a rough day. I quit my job and wasn't sure what I was going to do to make ends meet. Once again, hard but the right thing. Thankfully, I found something else Tuesday!

I've seen this on the internet but can't find the source. If you know tell me so I can link it!


Back to the stuff you actually care about. At CrossFit one of the trainers gave me a workout of back squats and GHD's (Glute-Ham Developers). This is a killer combo, especially when you just got done running 25 miles only 36 hours earlier.  I set my back squats at 55 pounds and got started. First set: 21 back squats, 42 GHD's. Second set: 18 back squats, 30 GHD's. Third set: 9 back squats, 18 GHD's. I finished in 12:20. Not too shabby!

On Tuesday I woke up sore, Sore, SORE. I waddled to my desk and the secretary laughed at me. I tried to walk regularly to work out some of the kinks. I couldn't believe how much my butt hurt! When I got home I decided to do my scheduled miles as a recovery run. It took me the whole 4 to start to loosen up so I went ahead and made it 5 so I had one mile that I didn't feel like a stiff, robotic mess. Average pace was something like 12:09 and I don't think I could have done it any faster.

Yesterday I was scheduled for 9 miles. There was no way I was getting up at 4am to get it done. I was just too darned exhausted. I figured I'd maybe swap my Thursday 4 for Wednesday's 9 and still meet scheduled mileage. Then I got stuck in traffic and didn't get home until 6:30. I ate some dinner and decided that I'd be lucky to make it off the couch to bed, let alone run. I gave in for the first time in 8.5 weeks and skipped a scheduled running day.

I paid some bills, cozied up with my water bottle and hit the sack early. I'm still not 100% today but I'm a lot better. So now I have to figure out what to do from here?

What would you do? Just skip the 9? Do the 9 miler today and move today's 4 to tomorrow? Do 4 today and 9 tomorrow? Fall off the wagon completely (just kidding - kinda!)?

Also, my coworkers talked me into not straightening my hair for once so I'm rockin' some messy curls! What do you think?!

2 comments:

  1. I hope the resting day did your body some good! Sometimes accidentally misising runs is the best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally sympathetic/empathetic to wanting to get all the workouts in--I am so like that. BUT--I can say that every time I have ever been injured, it's been when I'm riding that post big-race high and not listening to the rest my body is asking for. Seriously, listen, rest, recover and then come back even stronger.

    ReplyDelete