Monday, August 27, 2012

Momma Said WOD You Out

I'm recovering better than I'd hoped from the Baker 50. I think the main reason is that I have trained hard for the last four months and my body has gotten really good at recovering. The flip side to that is that recovery forces your body to use nutrients to rebuild the muscles you just tore apart. I'm still taking my GNC Ultra Mega vitamin packet daily as well as my Energy Bits.

However, neither of those supplements contains the macronutrients, specifically the amino acids/proteins, that my body needs right now. My appetite is severely lacking for the amount of calories I burned and that's not uncommon following an endurance event. To make up for it I've been using Premier Protein bars and shakes as one of my daily snacks. I can't say enough about how tasty these things are! While a sandwich or a steak sounds horrible to me right now the chocolate peanut butter bar is like candy and I have no problem getting it down.

My package from Premier Protein
 
This is seriously not BS. My husband said, "You never post anything bad about a product on your blog." I thought about it and figured I should address his point. If I try something and don't like it then I don't post about it. I don't want to spread bad PR for a product just because I don't like it. If I truly believed something is going to harm someone or should be avoided then I would post that. But I won't just write a post saying I didn't like the taste, texture, colors or whatever about a product I was sent to try. Now that I've gotten that out of the way....
 
I've seriously recovered so well that I decided to get back on schedule and go to CrossFit today. I had no illusions that I'd be doing today's WOD but I figured some basic movements or skill work might loosen up the last of the kinks in my quads and calves. I decided to do a simple workout:
 
 
I chose to use just the bar for the hang powers (35#) and I used a little heavier band for my pull ups than I usually would. Other than that I just took it slowly and went at a comfortable pace. I finished in 22:15 which I didn't think was bad at all for 48 hours post-ultra. And I was right in that I felt much better afterwards.
 
Once I got home Shane filled up the baby pool and I splashed and played with Ash until Gem got home from her first day of school. After dinner Gem, Ash and I had a dance party to Kidz Bop in the living room. I am really happy that doing what I love doesn't have to stop me from making memories with my children. Now if I can just say the same thing about this semester of school....
 
What helps you recover? Do you use protein shakes or bars?
 
Disclaimer: I was given these products for review. As always. all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment