Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fast in Faas

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter then you already know I've FINALLY been putting my bike from last Christmas to good use! It's helping me fit in some easy cardio and cross train my legs on my non-running days which is something I should have been doing all along. Plus the CycleOps trainer means I can cycle in front of the TV watching the same crap I'd be watching while NOT working out. ;)


It's been a struggle to keep my motivation up since Sandy has pounded the east coast. We're safe and sound here but the nonstop rain has kept us all indoors. (Keeping NY and NJ in our thoughts!) I don't mind the treadmill so much but it lends to easier distractions: hop off and change laundry, run upstairs to get more water, interrupted by kids 10 times in a half hour, and so on.... Anyway, I got a package in the mail yesterday that drastically improved my chances of actually working out today!


New PUMA gear! I've never tried the brand and I had no clue what to expect so naturally I jumped at the chance to give it a go. My first impression when I opened the box was WOAH! The bright colors really stand out. I'm not normally very 'loud' but these combinations are attractive without being too overbearing. The green and orange shorts with the white shirt don't scream 'Look at me!' And the black jacket with hot pink accents is feminine and bold but not crazy. The shoes are a whole different story with the blue and pink but athletic shoes are supposed to be fun! First thing this morning I tried the ensemble out. I probably should have waited for a run day but I'm too impatient. (I did however clean the mirror before snapping a pic... Bonus points for me!)


Second impression: The FAAS Split shorts are SHORT! I don't usually mind short-shorts but these also don't have a liner. I felt breezes in new places and I'm not sure I liked that. I tried putting on some underwear but cotton under tech shorts felt even worse. I'm not sure that I would risk running in these outside for fear of flashing unsuspecting bystanders. Cycling outdoors would also be iffy because of the risk of exposure. Comfort-wise these shorts feel great on. The elastic is firm but not tight (for reference I got a size Medium) and they didn't chafe. From a quality of material and fit standpoint these are pretty awesome for the MSRP of $35.

The shirt I received is a size small. I think the cut runs on the smaller side because I was having issues with bunching up. Whenever I reached over my head or leaned over the bottom rode up and didn't fall back into place when I straightened up. This usually happens when I order a size too small so I don't believe that it is a cut or quality issue. For a basic tech tee (MSRP $20) this shirt works just fine. It breathes, it doesn't have a fabric neck tag, and it has the silky slide-over-your-skin feel. However, it doesn't have flat seams. This could be a HUGE potential issue on runs over 5 or 6 miles or in the rain. Cycling 6 miles on the trainer in it didn't pose any problems though.



The jacket is the Faas Microfleece Hoody and it is by far my favorite item in this package! The colors, the feel, the fact that it actually has a HOOD all make it superior to many of my other light jackets. This hoody does feel heavier than many of my jackets and I probably wouldn't use it for exercise until the temperature is close to freezing. Obviously it was too warm in my house to wear it on the bike but I'm wearing it now! It is definitely comfortable and I love that it has an iPod-sized breast pocket! The only thing I don't love is the zipper. For a hoody that retails for $90 I expect a sturdy zipper. The zipper on this is cheap plastic and I had trouble with it before I ever put the hoody on. Give me a good quality zipper and this hoody would be on my Christmas list in every color they have!

Lastly, the shoes! The Faas 550's are comfortable! I think they are also sized slightly smaller than my usual brands. I ordered a size 8 (my usual) and I can't wear my thicker socks with these. With thin socks the fit is perfect although the toebox feels tighter (narrower) than I'm used to. I couldn't find the heel to toe drop information on the Puma site but I'd be willing to bet that it is the standard 12mm. It feels a little high to me in the heel since I've been running in 8mm and zero drop shoes lately. The cushion is heavenly though and I think these will be perfect as cross trainer or track shoes. Due to the toe constriction issue (probably should have asked for an 8.5) I don't think I could wear these for a longer run but that's not a quality issue so much as a sizing issue. The upper and laces feel of average quality. The real difference in these shoes is all in the sole. The rubber/foam blend differs in each Faas shoe from the minimalist, lighter 200 to the heavily cushioned 900. The 550 is right in the middle and feels springy enough to absorb the impact of landing but not overly cushioned enough to impact toe off or reduce power. I'll probably give these a few miles on the road as soon as I get a dry day to really get a good feel for what they can do.



Overall, I think PUMA has done a great job making gear that's right in line with the wants and needs of the average runner and athlete. The quality isn't over the top but neither is the price. For an average Joe or weekend warrior this tech tee or these shoes are probably perfect. If trail or ultra running is more your style then this probably isn't the line for you. However, for cross training today these pieces were ultimately comfortable, affordable and attractive. I'd say PUMA scores an 8 out of 10 overall with the Faas line!


No comments:

Post a Comment