Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Just Another Runner

Since the Runner's World Half & Festival I've been working hard to read all of the books I brought home with me. The Big Book of Marathon & Half Training was a good read, albeit very basic. The next one on my pile was 'Going Long' which is an accumulation of stories from Runner's World, edited by David Willey. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave and his son, who both kicked my butt in the 5k portion of the Runner's World Hat Trick.

However, as I read these books from Rodale, owner and publisher of Runner's World Magazine, I find that one common thread ties every bit of editorial together, whether satire, drama, or documentary. The fact is Runner's World seems to think that everyone is a Boston Qualifier or a 3-something marathoner. (Even in the 'Big Book' the little blocks with personal stories often featured 3:xx marathoners.)

The truth? We're not. I am just as amazed and motivated as the next runner when I meet someone who's lost 100 pounds, run 10 marathons, and just BQ'ed... all in the last year. But the fact is that these people are the exception, not the rule. And qualifying for Boston is a big deal because it's HARD. I may never do it and that's okay. What irks me is that every book in the Rodale repertoire acts like it's normal somehow to tick off 7 minute miles on easy runs or do 8 mile tempos at a 5:xx pace. It's NOT!

In fact, the average runner is not a member of this club. Something like 62% of the field in my last marathon finished in the 4-4:30 range. I just missed being middle of the pack yet again. Maybe it's supposed to be motivating to read these times and paces that aren't even remotely on my radar. Maybe it's supposed to be inspiring. Really, though, let's face it. It's getting old. I'm sick of opening books on training and finding that the pace tables stop several minutes shy of my actual training paces. The race time comparison tables end long before my races actually did.

Maybe Runner's World is losing sight of their target audience? From what I see on their forums, the largest numbers are by far in the Beginner's Forum. The elite racing forum is tiny, the ultra room only slightly larger, and the marathoners and training forums still miniscule in comparison. People who are only just trading flip flops for Nikes or jeans for compression shorts are the bulk of the ones who are seeking advice and training tips and motivation. In all honesty, the runners who are at the front either have coaches, are coaches, or might as well be for the most part. Either that or they are inhumanly genetically gifted with a high VO2max, perfectly balanced fast and slow twitch fibers, and speedy recovery cells. In other words, they aren't me and I doubt they are the balance of my readers or my running friends.

Am I the only one noticing this or feeling this way? Is anyone else ready to take all of the Rodale and Runner's World books and pile them for a bonfire?

9 comments:

  1. I canceled my RW subscription after about two years. 1) I just couldn't stand one more near-identical cover. 2) I felt like all the content was being regurgitated.

    I still believe they have about a two-year cycle of content in their magazine and I feel that content is overly geared toward new runners. However, I also think you are TOTALLY right about times and paces.

    (haven't read any books, so I can't comment on those)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a short memory so being reminded not to do something simply stupid once every two years is probably helpful to me. However, I get the impression that Runner's World thinks beginners are running 9 minute miles or better. After 4 years of working my tail off I can just barely hold a sub-10 pace for a flat and perfect half marathon. I wouldn't call myself a beginner but I'm not a speed demon either!

      Delete
  2. I agree! I still have my RW subscription because it helps keep me motivated and my last issue arrived the night before my surgery giving me something to read while I waited to be cut open. I haven't read their marathon books though. I doubt I will ever BQ. Maybe when my kids are all teenagers and don't want to be seen with me. Then I will have the time needed to put in the high miles. For now I am happy to be a sub-4:30 marathoner and attempt to gradually chip away at my time to one day get close to 4:00. LeahMuriel from RWOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting to be a sub-4:30 marathoner! Hopefully I'll be there for spring!

      Delete
  3. Good post. I couldn't agree more. I'm fed up with RW and the lack of new material and originality in their publications. I actually think the magazine holds people back by establishing all the ritualistic running rules that were designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator in the running community. I blame Rodale for a lot of the problems in the running community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord knows we haven't gotten where we are by following the 'rules' huh Kelly? I'm not sure I'll ever be as fast or tough as you but I'll sure as heck try!

      Delete
  4. Yes, they cater to the beginner and BQ crowds.
    Not much there for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they've totally lost sight of the recreational runner who has been running for years but doesn't have the time, motivation, whatever to chase Olympic glory. Maybe I'm bitter because I wasn't blessed with a runner's pedigree but I'm pretty sick of hearing about people going from couch to BQ or to the Olympics or whatever.

      Delete