Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Back in the Saddle... For the First Time

Maybe you've been around long enough to remember when I got a bike for Christmas. Well, it pretty much sat and collected dust for almost 4 years while I focused on my running. Then my friend, Jenn, suggested that I move it to her house and meet up for evening rides. She decided we would start with an easy 20 miler through the city. I felt confident I would bonk, possibly die, and embarrass myself.

View of the city from the Hot Metal Bridge

Amazingly, I survived and even kind of enjoyed myself. We made it 20 miles and averaged 10MPH or so. It was nothing spectacular but I was very happy that I completed it. We made a stop at REI and also at the OTB Bike Cafe for some dinner. It was a great way to spend an evening with some of my favorite people.

A cafe for cyclists? Right on!

I guess I enjoyed it more than I would like to admit because we did a 20.5 miler on a slightly tougher course just a couple days later. And then followed that with a 16 mile ride the next day. Ending up with 56 miles of cycling in 5 days, and a good number of running miles too, was completely unexpected. But it lit the fire in me that has been missing for some time now. 

Where's the pot of gold?

I don't know if I'm training for anything. Jenn thinks I should sign up for Pedal Pittsburgh's metric century (100k). Someone else has suggested doing a Spartan Ultra Beast in the not-so-distant future. And I've been eyeing a marathon or ultra early next year. But mostly I'm enjoying feeling stronger and healthier than I have for a long time. I'm enjoying spending time with the people I care about the most in the beautiful city I love. It's enough to just be back on the path of my six year journey to fitness for right now.

Cooling down along the North Shore Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment