Friday, August 8, 2014

Progress, Not Perfection

I've made some really good changes over the last couple weeks. I'll just admit it now. I picked up A LOT of bad habits again while I was 'off'. I started smoking again. I was having a few beers way too often. I obviously wasn't exercising. And I was eating everything that a dietician would kill me for.

Now, well, I haven't had a cigarette in a week. I haven't had a drink in even longer. And I've been eating about 80% clean. I am more than pleased with the changes I've managed to implement and stick with in a very short time. 


Did I have an ice cream cone on one of our bike rides? Yes.

Did I eat a burger and fries at the OTB Cafe? Yes.

But I also had chicken breasts, turkey meatloaf, broccoli, almonds, berries, baby carrots, and greek yogurt. I carefully planned breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. I walked by the donuts in the break room and the cake in the kitchen and the candy on the desks. I had tilapia and greens while my family was eating spaghetti or Chinese. And I felt good about my choices.

And then, I picked up one of these:

I bought a case of 'real sugar' Pepsi out of curiosity before I got back on track with my diet. I made the decision that I would finish the last two or three rather than throw them away. I was eating my dinner of tilapia and greens and I opened a Pepsi. My own mother said something along the lines of, "Why bother eating healthy if you're going to drink that?" I explained that I wasn't planning to buy anymore soda but I wanted to finish what I had purchased and one wouldn't kill me.

Not ten minutes later I was in my room FaceTime-ing with a friend. At some point during the conversation I lift my can and immediately I get, "Are you drinking POP?!" I give my speech on just finishing what I bought and yada-yada. And still there was more grief to be had over my beverage choice. Meanwhile, he was drinking pop too!

When did eating healthy become eating perfectly? When did getting fit become a one way road? I honestly don't understand the mentality of perfection that pervades everything today. We have to be perfect moms, wives, employees, athletes, chefs, and supermodels. There's no room to be HUMAN. 

I'm perfectly fine with never having the body of a fitness model if I can still have a piece of cheesecake on date night. I'm honestly okay with washing down my boiled chicken breast and sweet potato with Pepsi. No one would think twice if I was at a burger joint chasing a double quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry with a giant soda. If rewarding myself with an ice cream cone at the end of a 20 mile bike ride gets me out the door and moving then it can't be all that bad right?

I see it said time and time again but it's beyond time we all take it to heart. PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION. Do better than yesterday. Make small changes that you can stick with. And don't be afraid to make a mistake or reward yourself every once in awhile. After all we are only human... and I fully intend to enjoy as much of my short time on earth as possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment