Saturday, August 2, 2014

Color Vibe 5k

July 12 marked only my second organized event of 2014. The first being the mine 5k all the way back in February. I knew I wasn't in race shape but I hoped that returning to organized running in a fun way would bring back my motivation. Thankfully most of the group I was running with were only out to get dyed and have fun too.

Pre-race
 
I picked up my packet the evening before so I was able to wear the race shirt and sunglasses for the event. I'm extremely glad I made the decision to do the early packet pickup because the line on race day was absurd. The first several waves of the race went off while people were still waiting! However, I found my group and we were able to line up with no problems. We even had time to get bored and start smearing our dye packets on each other.
 

The Color Vibe crew pre-race

We were released in the third wave and P took off like it was a timed event. The rest of us kept the pace easy as we huffed and puffed, with the occassional conversation thrown in. The color stations were pretty understaffed so we resorted to grabbing our own and covering each other while taking a walk break. The water station was also woefully pathetic. We waited at least 3-4 minutes in a line to get a half a dixie cup of tepid water.

Maybe the mall should have secured their carts?
 
 
Despite the poor planning and my poor fitness level I found myself enjoying the run. I bumped into a few of other running friends and was able to catch up on their seasons. The longer I pressed on the better I felt and it seemed like my friends were enjoying themselves too. We finally crossed the line and were able to grab our bottles of water.
 
I look a little too clean
 
After we finished we stood around for awhile and chatted before we decided we needed caffeine. A Starbucks run seemed like the perfect way to end our run.
 
We took over Starbucks
 
After the run I thought about the Color Vibe and what I would recommend to anyone considering one. First, pick up your packet early. Either the day before or at least an hour before start time. Second, bring your own water in a handheld or waist belt. Waiting in line for water wasn't a big deal since this run is untimed but it was also annoying! Third, bring a change of clothes and a towel. I didn't think that far ahead and I ended up having to have my car detailed immediately after the race. So unless you enjoy having a tie dyed ride make sure you are prepared!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment