Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ultra Runners are the 1%

I don't mean that we're above the general population or other runners in any way. Well, except mileage... But I digress.

If you read my last post then you know I'm up to my eyeballs in stress. However, I don't react like a 'normal' person. No! I sit through a 2.5 hour meeting on a Tuesday wondering just how sick I have to be to leave early. Doesn't mental health count for something?



So after the meeting I rush back to my desk with 20 minutes until lunch break. I bang out every email, every letter and phone call and still have 10 minutes left. I spend them trying to figure out the best way to let my bosses know I'm going home without them asking too many questions. I finally settle for "I don't feel very well and I've decided to go home. If you have an urgent need please call my cell." That's the thing about we ultra runners, we don't waste a drop of energy if we don't have to. Not even to write an excuse for work.

I head home feeling uplifted and enjoying the weather. I'll probably never see 60 degrees and sunny on January 31 in Pittsburgh ever again! I know there's a lot of things I could be doing with my suddenly open afternoon. I tick off the list in my head: homework, laundry, writing a blog post, playing with my dogs, etc. But there's not even a question in my mind of Priority Uno. I'm going running! The only question is, "How many miles can I fit into the time I have?"



The answer to that turned out to be 10. On a 'normal' day I might have banged out 12 or more. Today wasn't normal because I did an extremely leg focused weights program yesterday. On top of that I was extremely under-fueled having eaten only a Clif bar and coffee in the last 12 hours. I decided it was perfect testing conditions for my Umstead plan. (Because that's how ultra runners think right? RIGHT?!)

I tucked a Peanut Butter GU (YUM!) and some Margarita Shot Bloks (Double yum!) into my SPIbelt and took off. I didn't even take a handheld with me (because I couldn't wait another second to fill up a water bottle before I hit the trails)! And this is why I love distance running....

First mile, I'm okay but my legs HURT. I can feel my quads groaning. I'm pretty sure a mutiny is in the works. Second mile, the quads are starting to say, "Okay, okay! We give!" Miles 3-5 I'm just cruising (slowly). I take a few walk breaks and pop my GU (now I wish I had water!) and then a Shot Blok. I turn around at mile 5 even though I'm entertaining thoughts of just running until I know my husband is starting to worry and then calling him to come get me.

Mile 6 I'm cruising again. My breathing is steady, my heartbeat even. It's the closest I'll ever feel to being a machine. At 7 miles I start to wonder what people think when they see me out there. Do I look like I've lost my mind? Can they see the sheer happy stupidity that is radiating from every cell of my body? From the sideways looks and cautious waves I believe that they do. Miles 8-10 I'm just pushing to get it in now. I know I don't have fast in me today but I feel good knowing that I'm probably as depleted as I'll be 50 or 60 miles into Umstead (calorie-wise and muscle weakness-wise) and I'm still cranking out 11 minute miles and optimistic. Where else do pain and pure bliss come in a single package except for ultra running?

Once home I shower and return to 'normal' life seeing just a hint of a glow around everything now, like an aura. My outlook is just a little brighter, my mind just a little less occupied. I can be more patient with my kids. I can NOT chase down the kids that ding-dong ditched us just as the baby fell asleep (more to prove that I can catch them rather than actually being mad). I help my older daughter with homework, I help my husband with dinner, I fold laundry, and then I work on homework. After all of that I sit down to write this post. It's amazing how productive and happy that 2 hour break from life made me. And that's why ultra runners rule!

But just in case you need more convincing:

You know you're an ultra runner if:

-You don't think twice about eating food off the floor

-You can say (or apply!) Body Glide with a straight face

-You have actually eaten salt (not as a seasoning but on it's own!)

-You run a warm up and cool down for a marathon

-You run your age in miles on your birthday (or birthday weekend)

-Your runs are limited by how much time you have rather than your fitness

-You have run with a light strapped to your head

-You have at least one black and/or missing toenail

-You carry running clothes to work or wear them under your suit

-You rotate your shoes more often than your tires

-You drink from a water bottle at the dinner table

-You leave work early to run!

Have a great night everyone and keep being 'different'! (It is what I love about you!) I'm off to check off my last to-do: rest! Don't forget to enter the charity giveaway/raffle before midnight! I still need to raise $240 to meet my goal! You can donate here!

3 comments:

  1. Love this post!!! I'm hating running short miles right now (I'm recovering from a partially torn abductor muscle). I don't feel like I'm getting anything done! It's been since October that I've run double digits!!!!!!!!

    And what's 'rotating tires'? :) 5 pairs of shoes- 2 road, 3 trail :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon Moose! Can't let those shoes get dusty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post and I'm not an ultra runner but I find myself doing some of those same things!

    ReplyDelete