Sunday, September 16, 2012

Home Again

It's been an awful week for my running, as in I'm posting a big old zero. However, I did have a lot of neat experiences so I thought I'd share some of what I've been up to while I'm not pounding pavement, trail, or a barbell.

Monday was a typical workday. On Tuesday I took a training class on Computer Radiography and then came home to pack for my trip to Brunner Island Power Station. Brunner Island isn't really a nice place and I wouldn't go there for vacation but for a work trip it wasn't bad. This time we were doing a boiler survey which means locating several areas and marking them with paint. Then those areas are sandblasted and me and my coworkers take readings on the tubes inside the boiler. At this site we took something like 36,000 readings!

Brunner Island
 
Water Wall Tubes
 
I arrived at Brunner around 8PM on Tuesday and checked into my super-sleazy motel. Thankfully 15 of my coworkers were staying there too so I didn't feel too scared!
 
I could feel the creepiness in the atmosphere.
 
Wednesday was the day we did the layout so it was pretty quick. I was out of the plant by 1 and then back at the motel to do my homework. A couple hours later I was headed to dinner with my cousin (and I forgot to get a picture!). Thursday and Friday were the days we had to take the readings. That meant 13-14 hours both days and never seeing the sun. I stayed one more night and drove home Saturday morning. I spent most of Saturday unpacking, washing laundry, and cleaning fly ash and coal dust out of my car.
 
Today was the day to make up for lost time with the kids though! We went to a covered bridge festival and had a blast. They even had a tractor made up like a train to take the kids for rides in barrel 'cars'! We didn't come home with too much besides cotton candy and pumpkin pie but the kids had a blast so it was well worth the trip.
 
Train ride!
 
The best part, aside from spending time with my kids, was coming home to find a huge box of Reebok gear waiting for me! I had signed up for Team Reebok for the Canton 5k & 10k on Saturday but missed it for obvious reasons. I wish I could have represented this weekend but I'll definitely be wearing my new gear for CrossFit tomorrow! I can't wait to get back on schedule and get back to running again (just in time to taper for Baltimore)!

 
 
So what did I miss this week? Any big news or big races? Got photos you care to share? I'd like to start sharing reader photos and stories once a week or so if I can get some interest! You can email me at sbrunazzi @ gmail. com. Just take the spaces out! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment