Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pretty Muddy

I could alternatively title this post 'Evolution of an Afro'. I knew there would be lots of photo ops at this event so I carefully straightened my unruly curls and even applied a little lipstick this morning. Of course, that was gone before I even arrived in Columbus, Ohio after a 4 hour plus drive! I was pretty proud of myself for trying though. It's not often that I attempt being feminine but how could I not for a race with Pretty in the name?!

Before
 
 
I left home sometime around 7:30am. I made the drive to Columbus in pretty good time with a quick stop for food and coffee. When I arrived at Mad River Mountain the first thing I realized was that all of the participants were running straight up the ski slopes! Being that I haven't run all week I wasn't sure I was up for that!
The view from the parking lot
 
I checked in and picked up my bib and shirt. Then I dropped my bag of 'after' clothes at the gear check. It was all broken down by alphabet and/or bib number so it was really smooth and didn't take long at all. I took some photos of the slopes and tents while I walked around. I also chatted with some of the volunteers and workers at the event. Everyone was super friendly and helpful! I had registered for the 1PM wave but I saw only a few people lined up for 12:15 (apparently not a popular time? The other waves were much busier!) so I decided to go ahead and jump in early.
 
Getting pumped up to start!
 
The announcer who started each wave was extremely funny. He kept joking with the DJ who was right next to the starting line and got all of the runners excited for the challenge ahead. I wish I would have asked his name but I did get a picture with him later! He did a really good job of entertaining the waiting runners for the next wave. It was only a few minutes and then we were off.... straight up the ski slope! I ran for maybe 100 yards and then I went into my ultra hike/walk.
 
The snow machines were being used as super soakers instead
 
Half way up the ski slope we hit the first obstacle. I took pictures of every obstacle except for a cargo net at mile 1, a slide at mile 2 and the last mud pit because they had professional photographers at each of those. I'm really excited to see the photos once they come up online! Anyway, the first obstacle was a tunnel of foam. It didn't look too bad until I actually went in and then I was quickly buried! Foam was literally over my head and I just held my breath, closed my eyes and pushed through the other side. That would have been a great obstacle for the end to clean off some mud!
 
Inside the foam tunnel
 

The next obstacle was four walls. You had to climb over the first one, under the next two, and then over the last one. Of course, there was mud under the middle two! Next was the tunnel crawl then the cargo net climb, high knees through a cargo net, a slip n slide across a tarp, a run through a tunnel full of beach balls, the huge slide, running around a loop carrying a board over your head, two more wall climbs, and then the final mud pit! Not to mention running up and down the mountain the whole time!

First wall
 
Fourth wall
 
View from the mountain top
 
Cargo net run
 
 
The foliage is just starting to turn around here and the views from the mountain top were stunning. I did my best to appreciate the colors while speed hiking the uphills. I was too busy trying not to turn an ankle on the downs to look around! There really was no flat to speak of.
 
Foliage
 
Attacking the summit for the second time
 
As I ran I could hear the announcer below getting the next wave ready. Being that each wave was 15 minutes after the last this gave me a method of keeping tabs on my time. This event isn't timed and there are no awards but I'm too competitive and number-focused not to worry about my performance. I didn't wear a Garmin or watch but I did check the time at the start and finish. My only goal was not to have the 1PM wave start before I finished!
 
Alley of beach balls
 
Taking on the board run
 
As you can see, my straight hair didn't last very long. I didn't care too much though because I was having a blast! Thankfully I think I'm still pretty cute with crazy curls! ;)
 
Last two walls!
 
As I headed for the finish a couple people yelled that I was too clean. So I took the opportunity to literally swim in the final mud pit! I crossed the finish line, checked the clock (39-ish minutes), and then asked the ladies if I was still too clean!  I took a minute to pose in all my muddy glory before I headed for the hoses to clean up.
 
Yep, Pretty Muddy!
 
Once I was semi-clean (I was too chicken to spray myself in the face with freezing hose water) I grabbed a beer and was greeted by Kevin S., the owner of Pretty Muddy. We chatted about the event and what I thought was good and what could be improved. He seems like a pretty good guy with a real vision for the future of these events. I hope they'll continue to grow because I saw smiles on the face of every lady out there today! Plus Kevin posed for a picture with me despite the fact he was wearing white!
 
Hanging out with Kevin
 
I had to stop and get a picture with the announcer too!
 
After getting hosed off and drinking a cold beer I was pretty frozen. I headed into the ski lodge to get cleaned up a little better and change into warmer (cleaner) clothes. I headed back out to take a few last pictures before heading home. I couldn't help but smile at some of the women that were out on the course with me today so I had to get pics!
 
Post-Pretty Muddy with the full blown curls!
 
Pretty, pretty princesses?
 
Trash the Dress?
 
It wasn't long before I was too cold to hang out any longer. I headed back to my Jeep and couldn't help but laugh at my sticker. I feel like I really deserve it now!
 
This race was really well done for a first year event. The few things that I hope to see next year: timing (because I'm a number freak), finisher medals (because a lot of the women were first time runners and deserve it!), and any color besides white shirts (because mine is already stained from wearing it home post-race). Other than that the course was awesome (tough but doable for all athletic levels), the obstacles were creative and fun, the beer and food afterwards was good, and the ski lodge was a comfortable place to clean up and relax after the run. I would definitely recommend it for any woman looking for a different experience or a 'girls day'!

Disclosure: FitFluential LLC compensated me for this campaign. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I am in love with the sticker and wish I had gone to the event. I had a chance too, but was not allowed according to my doctor. Seeing the obstacles I know why but wow they look soooo fun. I will have to stalk this event and go next year. Great recap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, what does your doctor know?! (Kidding, kidding!) But seriously, it was so fun! Let's do it together next year!

    ReplyDelete