Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Are You Scared?

I admit it. I am terrified. Of my long runs that is.

I'm not sure what my issue is. I look at my weekend long run on the schedule and my knees start to shake. I start looking for excuses not to do it. Sunday I tried to use the excuse that my husband was working night shift all weekend. How could I do my run if he was sleeping all day and no one could watch the girls?!


Ash already knows the joys of earning hardware!


Of course, Shane wouldn't let me bail on myself like that. He stayed up for 2+ hours after he got home from work to let me run in the cool(er) morning air. The first half of the run I was okay but not loving it. When I hit the turn around point I found my stride. This is the point where I remembered WHY I love distance running. Things start to feel effortless, the right pace takes less effort and your mood just improves by leaps and bounds.

I finished my 11 miles in 2:06:35, 11:30 pace on the nose! This is actually slightly faster than my planned paces but I felt strong and I was barely sore Monday. That makes two weeks of marathon training in the bag and 16 weeks to go. I know I can do this!


I can't wait to have a PR in Marathon #4 to add to my 50 states hanger!


Monday is my cross training day and my trainer, Ryan, put me through a tough workout but I handled it well. First up were deadlifts. We started with a 35 pound bar and it was too light. Ryan added 10 more pounds and it was still too light. He added another plate to each end (not sure on the final weight) and I blasted out 3 sets of 25. His eyes almost popped out of his head when I told him my deadlift PR is 145. It's all in the form baby!

After that there were step ups, 3 x 15 on each leg. Then lunges, also 3 x 15 on each leg. Last of all he had me do 3 x 20 calf raises on the stairs. It was a good burn for sure! I contemplated doing some core work on the mats after we finished but I decided against it. No need to sabotage my marathon training by overdoing it on the strength training.

Today's plan calls for an easy three and I'm looking forward to it. I think I may eat lunch at my desk so I can run outdoors instead of at the gym. And this week I will try to look forward to my long run too!

4 comments:

  1. I've had moments of panic about long runs. Just flat out nervous, heart racing. But once I get going, I'm fine. I really can't ever pinpoint where the nerves come from either. I've definitely gotten to where I actually look forward to them for the "me" time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep trusting in your training... it will lead you to glory on race day. Keep running strong and training smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! What a great run. The long run can be intimidating, good job conquering your fear.. tell those shaky knees who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My long runs scare me, too - but you're doing WAY longer runs then I do!

    ReplyDelete