Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 6 Baltimore Training

I ended up sleeping in this morning. I woke up and asked my hubby what time we needed to get moving to make it to the race and he said it was already too late. I can't say I was too disappointed. It's been a good weekend so far and extra sleep was a bonus.

I walked 2 miles with the dogs after work yesterday evening. Once I got home the dogs plopped down and went to sleep. My husband was getting ready to leave for work and my mom had already picked up the kids for the night. I was a little lost on what to do with myself. Thankfully my best friend decided to invite me out to the bar. I don't usually drink but I figured I deserved a little time with my bestie and a drink.

I only stayed for about an hour and a half but it was nice to talk about a lot of the stuff that's been bothering me plus playing pool and silly songs on the juke box. Driving home I felt lighter and a little bit more hopeful than usual as of late. I enjoyed reading a book for about an hour and then hit the sack. Finding out I wasn't racing this morning just made my extra couple hours that much more enjoyable.

When I finally dragged myself out of bed my husband was just coming up from the treadmill. He told me he'd run 8 miles in 59 minutes. Oh the time I could save on training if only I had his speed! Instead of smacking him I padded off to the kitchen to find some food. I forgot how much I can actually eat when I start running regularly. My 'normal' appetite returned full force today and I'm dreading the next grocery bill.

After two waffles with peanut butter and syrup plus coffee I was satisfied enough that I thought I could get in my long run while the kids were still at my moms. I hope I won't have to make switching Sunday long runs with Saturday pace runs a habit but it seemed like the best option this weekend. I mixed up some nuun and loaded my pockets with GU and headed out.

I guess I should know better than to let the baby play with my iPod but it seems to be her favorite toy. Of course that meant that today my running playlist was deleted and my music wouldn't shuffle. I lost a lot of time the first two miles taking walk breaks to manually flip songs because I was sick of listening to a certain one five times over. I finally got one playlist to work and shuffle so I just went with it and hoped I could make up the time I'd lost.

I was doing well when I reached the 5 mile turn around, about 1-2 minutes behind schedule. I picked it up as I head back but, by the time I hit the more residential sections of the trail, the heat was high and the sun was baking. I was drinking more and slowing down. I tried to focus on just maintaining pace but it was hard. I started throwing in a short walk break every mile. By mile 8.5 my bottle was empty and I was getting angry. I probably walked way more than I should have the last mile and a half but I was afraid of getting overly dehydrated.

I finally made it back home a little over 2 hours after I set out and checked my first long run of this training cycle off the list. It felt really good to do that and I feel surprisingly good for having run more miles today than I have in most weeks the last two months. I have some little aches but I'm pretty sure I just need new shoes. It wasn't a priority when I was barely running but now I'll have to budget for another fitting quickly.

All in all, I'd say I'm happy with things so far. Just 127 more days of training to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment