Tuesday, July 24, 2012

And The Gym Hits Back...

I am blessed to have a CrossFit box only 15 minutes from my house. It takes time away from my family to go there after work but my husband and I agree that it is the best option at this point. And, let's face it, I really do love CrossFit more than I ever did personal training.



I went back for my first WOD in forever last night. After getting another text message from my ex-trainer I really needed the stress relief. I was hoping for slam balls but the workout my coach selected was almost as good. Five rounds of 400m run, 7 x deadlift, 15 wall balls (10 pounds), and 30 single unders (jump rope). I finished in 25:10 which I think is pretty good for my first time back!

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to fit in my runs without going to the gym on my lunch breaks. I planned to get up an hour early today and do my 4 miles but when the alarm went off I was way too exhausted, probably from the WOD last night. So instead I have my clothes, shoes, and Garmin in my bag and I will stop in the park on the way home. Tomorrow I will have no choice but to get up at OMG-early and put in my 8 miles. But in the end, I just have to focus on what matters. A PR at Baltimore in October and hopefully a PR at Baker 50M. At the very least I need to get my second piece of the medal.

I am blessed to be surrounded by family, friends, and readers who really care. I value every bit of input you all have given me over the years whether I agreed with it or not. The honesty and straight-to-the-point advice is often just what this stubborn runner needs. So thank you all very much!

Have you tried CrossFit? Do you regularly WOD? What's your take on it, whether or not you actually attend a box?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a killer WOD!!! I am a huge fan of CrossFit! Love it so much! I've been doing it pretty religiously for about a year and a half and can't imagine going back to my old fitness habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hold your breath waiting for that phone call. L A Fitness has to call the mayor of Pleasant Hills back before they call you anyway. Guess you missed the article about their practices in the Trib last week. Just hope that your ex-trainer doesn't decide to make this whole mess a personal since it does sound like he's really pissed off at you now. Watch your blogging too since your workout schedules aren't exactly private. Sometime the "HEY LOOK @ ME!" attitude can work against you. Here's that article.

    Fines don't deter false alarms
    Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2012

    Despite an increase in penalties for false alarms to public safety officials in Pleasant Hills, the number of non-emergency incidents has not gone down.

    In April, borough council unanimously approved to revise an ordinance that addresses false alarms caused by faulty detection equipment or negligence. The revision increases the fines associated with more than three false alarms in a year.

    The fourth false alarm results in a $100 fine; the fifth, a $200 fine; and $300 for each subsequent false alarm, said Fred Jug, borough solicitor, in April.

    Mayor Warren Bourgeois said he is upset that public safety officials have been called to LA Fitness, in particular, about 14 times since last November for false alarms, resulting in more than $900 in fines.

    The fitness company, a national chain with a headquarters in Irvine, Calif., has paid the fines in full.

    "To me, that's totally unacceptable," Bourgeois said.

    But Bourgeois said the false alarms are a public safety issue.

    "It indicates to me that they just don't care," Bourgeois said. "All I want is that LA Fitness do whatever it takes to solve the problem."

    Phone calls to LA Fitness were not returned by the South Hills Record deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love CrossFit. I think it gives you a combo of almost Personal Training PLUS having the team around you too. Best of both worlds. That wod looked killer, good for blowing off steam I'm sure. Keep it up and you'll reach your goals no problem

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to give crossfit a try forever! Can't seem to work it into 12 half marathons in 2012, training for an ultra, work, kids, husband...see what I mean?

    I'm not giving up!

    ReplyDelete