Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fresh Ink (& Burn)

I'm now in week 6 of marathon training and still going strong! I have to say that the more comments I get on here, FaceBook, Twitter and DailyMile the more motivated I feel to keep up with it. I can't let all of you down now, can I?!

Sunday was a little rough. I was scheduled for 14 miles but we had to take our niece about 4 hours away to meet her grandmother for a visit. After a 9 hour round trip, including a stop for lunch, I didn't feel much like running and the temperature was still in the high 80's. My wonderful husband wouldn't let me quit though. He practically shoved me onto the treadmill as soon as we got home and I felt better for it (once it was over!).

My treadmill resets at 100 minutes so the actual time was 2:32:25. Not bad!

On Monday I did an intense leg workout with my trainer. I'm really enjoying how much more I can do now without suffering (as much!) the next day. We did step ups with 10 pound dumbells in each hand, pause squats with a 10 pounder (hold for 2 seconds at the bottom), and lunges with 10 in each hand. After that it was calf raises with my feet at different angles to hit all the muscle fibers. I was stoked that I could do it all without an issue the day after my longest run of the training cycle!

The best part was waiting when I got home though! My package from INK N BURN was calling me to work out again. I resisted but I did try everything on right away! If you know me then you know I love, Love, LOVE INB gear! Maybe you remember when I ran the Lt. JC Stone 50k in 2011 wearing my Run or Die shirt? I do!

Somewhere on the way to 50k and still smiling in my favorite shirt!

I was practically bouncing out of my chair all day waiting for my lunch break so I could go try out my newest outfit. As soon as my time was up I rushed to the gym. I was only scheduled for 3 miles today but you can't be a pansy when you're wearing Ink N Burn clothes!

Could this outfit be any more awesome?!

Let me start the review with my first thoughts. I would NEVER run in denim. I can't imagine that I have enough Aquaphor to deal with the resulting pain despite the massive supply in my basement. So when I found out INB was making denim-print tech shorts I jumped on them! These have a built-in liner that fits like a glove, doesn't rub or move, and breathes amazingly well. The print is so realistic that I could probably wear these in public without anyone realizing they're not real jean shorts. The camisole fits perfectly too. The straps lay just right without rubbing or twisting and the built in shelf bra is supportive but not constricting. And, of course, all the seams are flat so they won't chafe. The print and colors are to die for too!

Now back to the good stuff! I hopped on the treadmill and I could instantly tell it was going to be a good run. My legs were sore but not dead and my breathing settled into a steady rhythm right off the bat. I ran the first mile at an easy pace and then decided to put my new clothes to the true ultra test, hills! I started doing quarter mile hill repeats with a quarter mile flat in between. I varied the hills from 2 - 5% incline and kept the pace the same the whole time. When I reached 3 miles I just wasn't ready to be done yet so I continued on to 3.25 or so and then walked to 3.5 as a cool down. I wouldn't hesitate to wear this outfit for my next long run!

Not a bad lunch run!

I'm going to try the outfit for strength training tonight. I promised my friend I'd help her get into a workout plan so I'm meeting her after work at the gym. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be just as comfortable tonight as I was at lunch. And I'm really stoked about my first personal training 'client'!

Looking cute AND tough in the gym ROCKS!

The camisole even has a built in key or GU pocket.

The only thing that made my day even better was my Ultra Running magazine's arrival. I opened it up to find the Umstead results front and center! And, of course, my name is right there. I'm officially famous now right?!

Someday my picture will make it in there too!

*Disclaimer: I bought these items. They were not given to me for review and, as always, all of the opinions expressed are my own!

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Way to keep up with the training! Umstead? Nice! That's a 50 miler I'd like to do someday. Not sure about doing 100 on a loop course, though it would be only 8 laps (not too bad!). Of course I still have to get to 50 miles anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look cute in your running clothes. The Serena Williams of the asphalt and trail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey great time! You should be proud of yourself and the running clothes are really cute!

    ReplyDelete