Monday, July 16, 2012

Wild Weekends

I guess I'm getting old because my 'wild weekend' consisted of my usual training plus a (mis)adventure in cycling. If you remember my husband gave me a bike for Christmas and I really haven't posted much about it since. I've been so focused on running that it's mostly gathered dust for the last 7 months.

My husband decided we should change that Saturday morning. He signed us up for a 20 mile bike ride on the trail by our house. I wasn't too thrilled to wake up and find rain but I tried to put on a happy not miserable face. My mom came to our house to take the girls on the 2 mile walk that was also an option.

Right when we got started the rain started to actually fall rather than mist. I looked at Shane and told him it was going to get worse. He swore the weather didn't call for anything worse so we kept going. Three miles in it began to pour. The trail was soup, our tires were flinging mud up our backs and I was dreaming about being back in my warm bed. I was also worried about my mom and the girls on their walk. We ducked into a shelter at a cemetary 6 miles out and decided to turn back once the rain calmed down. Thankfully it wasn't too long.

By the time we turned around I was cold and my butt hurt. I was not very pleasant I'm sure. Thankfully we made it back to the starting point in good time and let everyone know we were calling it a day. We headed home where I indulged in feats of laziness until I was forced to complete my scheduled 7 miles for the day. Thankfully it wasn't as horrid as I was sure it was going to be and I was glad to have a treadmill where I could avoid the nasty weather outside.

Sunday I focused on getting our house clean and into some form of order. Shane worked on putting in the new baseboard where we'd left off some months ago. I cleaned the basement and laundry room and garage. Laundry also got done. Other than that I organized my running gear.

Holy shirts, Batman!

I guess I shouldn't have been shocked that I can no longer close my bin of race shirts. I decided to fold them neatly and see if that helped. It did, a little. With Shane sitting on the bin I was actually able to close it and then get it under the bed! Final count was 31 short sleeve cotton, 5 long sleeve cotton, 9 short sleeve tech, and 11 long sleeve tech shirts! Oh boy!

After the shirt fiasco I decided was forced to (Thanks honey!) run. I put in my scheduled 10 miles at 10:51 average pace. Not too shabby. An ice bath, dinner, and an Advil later I was ready for bed. Of course, that's when someone decided to use up the rest of their fourth of July fireworks collection. After ensuring that our dogs were whipped into a slathering frenzy and I was too irritated to sleep the noise finally stopped.

Thankfully today was a workout with my trainer. I chose to do upper body since my butt STILL hurts from the bike ride. Is this normal?! He massacred me with a CrossFit-style workout in honor of the games this past weekend. Jerks, burpees, renegades, etc. I'm surprised I can type this. The best part was that he asked if I'd be interested in doing two sessions per week instead of one! Apparently he actually LIKES training me! Huh, how about that? Now I just need to figure out where to fit it in!

So how were your weekend adventures? Don't forget to check out the Badwater runners too! I'm seriously cheering for Alexa Dickerson and her boyfriend, Mark Matyazik! Alexa has given me tons of great advice on my running and she doesn't even charge me for it!

1 comment:

  1. Sara, nice blog!! Enjoyed following your tweets today on BW!!

    I blog too, at Run With Perseverance .

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete