Monday, November 28, 2011

Bodies

Let's just face it. Runners are obsessed with their bodies. We massage them, ice them, lubricate them, compress them, and work them HARD. Most of us I would like to believe do it for the right reasons: to enhance performance, for better health, or just because we enjoy it.

However, I see the girls (and women) at the gym that wear baggy clothes and multiple layers even though it's a million degrees. I see them eyeing every woman that comes in or out of the locker room like we're in a competition. I'm definitely guilty of feeling jealous when some of the rock hard bodies come in. However, I can say for sure that I am NOT ashamed of my own body. I truly believed the gym was a great place for women (and men) to begin feeling better about themselves.

Then I heard a song in the locker room. The lyrics when like this:
"All we’ve ever wanted
Is to look good naked
Hope that someone can take it
God save me rejection
From my reflection,
I want perfection."



I don't know anything about Robbie Williams or this song he performed and put out in 2009. All I know is that the moment I heard it I felt sick. Of all the places to hear this for the first time it had to be in the gym. And in the locker room surrounded by mirrors and tens of buff ladies in spandex.


Healthy is Sexy - PumpnIronPinup


I've worked hard for my body. It's definitely not perfect but it's mine. I've given birth twice (and put on 45+ and 65+ pounds and taken it back off) and it hasn't left my body unmarked. I will never be 'perfect' even if I get to an unhealthy body fat percentage and get some fake boobs (unfortunately those pregnant C cups didn't stick around, especially after nursing). A lot of make up and some Photoshop magic *might* get me close.

The question that raises in my mind though is WHY? Why do I need to be 5' 6" and 95 pounds? Why would I WANT to be? Why would I ever want to stop enjoying my favorite foods and drinks (in moderation)? And why would I want to be surrounded by people who only want to be around because I'm 'pretty' or 'popular'?


This is NOT sexy!


I know I've gotten way off running-specific here but think about it. Are you guilty of worrying more about what running's doing for your looks than for your health? Are you developing habits that are going to lead you to injury, poor performance, or disordered eating simply because a magazine (or song) tells you that you should? What are you going to do about it?

Personally, I'm going to continue to focus on performance. I've got a lot of great races left in me and I'm not going to sacrifice all the opportunities running has given me to fit into an ideal that isn't even attainable.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! Found you via @cheaptriathlete, and I'm looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete