Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Give the Gift of Peace of Mind

I mentioned in my Race and Relax post that I was given a GoSportID 'Inspire' bracelet as part of the race swag. It is artfully engraved with my name and my motto (which I stole from Marshall Ulrich), "As far as I can, As fast as I can". On the back is my husband's name and cell number. Since Savannah I have worn it pretty much every day. I even contacted GoSportID to see if I could get different band sizes because the ones I received with mine are too large. Imagine my surprise and delight when they offered to send me, not one, but two different sizes of bands to make sure I got the right ones!



I was (and am) so impressed that I decided to do a review for everyone to see. I have one of those 'other' sport ID bracelets (in fact I had a second one that got lost in my running gear somewhere) and I even bought one for my husband. Our safety is important to us but so is our hygiene and those other bands soaked up sweat and trail dirt to quickly become discolored and smelly. We don't have this problem with our GoSport's. The band is silicone and comes clean with soap and water. Simple!



Speaking of bands, I am uber impressed with GoSport's color selections! You don't have to make up your mind which is great when you're indecisive like me! I can use pink when I feel girly, black when I feel hardcore, or change to any of the EIGHT! colores to match my outfit of choice for the day. And the best part is it's a simple 'slip on, slip off' process!

So if you or the runner in your life need a way to stay safe on the road please don't hesitate to order a GoSportID! With five choices of band sizes (S-XL) and a few choices of different ID's there is no reason anyone should fear running alone again!

Update: I am especially thankful for my GoSportID this Thanksgiving! My husband and I did a Turkey Trot this morning (look for a racing update post later!) but the race itself was pretty uneventful (if a PR can ever be uneventful!). However, the top finishers were posted very quickly and we realized we had just missed out on age group awards. So we decided to head home and get the holiday feasting started!

About ten minutes out from the race we slowed down to cross some railroad tracks. As we crossed them we heard what sound like an explosion. My husband and I both thought we'd blow a tire or something. I looked into the side mirror just in time to see car parts and glass go flying past us and the front end of a minivan skid to a halt beside us. Both my husband and I were sure we'd been hit.

We pulled over and as we stepped out I was already calling 911. The man driving the van jumped out and started demanding that I NOT call the police. He was obviously heavily intoxicated or high. My husband and I examined our vehicle and found no obvious damage so we locked ourselves in while we waited for the police.

Once the police arrived (and the railroad crew + wrecker to get him off the tracks) my husband and I stepped out to give witness statements. It turns out the drunk driver tried to say that he hadn't been the one driving and that a family member had been in the vehicle and had gone for help after the accident. My husband and I knew this wasn't true and the real story came out that he'd passed out at the wheel and woken up just in time to avoid hitting us, striking a telephone pole instead and ripping off the entire right undercarriage of his van.

Shaken but otherwise fine my husband and I made it home safely to our children and a Thanksgiving feast. However, I have never been more thankful for the small band and metal plate on my wrist. If that drunk driver had hit us, or if he had become violent when I refused to hang up on the 911 operator, we could have been identified and given medical treatment immediately. I don't think I'm ever taking my GoSportID off again!

No comments:

Post a Comment