Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Memo for Race Directors

My husband and I ran a 5k that shall remain nameless today. I'm doing this because it does benefit a charity so I don't want to harm the race's future (as if I had that kind of power) but I do want to point out what makes a 'good' race. And in my humble opinion this one was not.


This is pretty much how I felt after today's race


First things first, be honest about your course. This course was advertised as rolling. I don't know that there's an exact definition of rolling in the runner's dictionary but I do know this did not match with my idea of 'rolling hills'. The race started on an uphill, ran several uphills in the middle, and ended on an uphill. Every downhill section was a quad-thrashing, out-of-control blur of pavement. If this describes your course then maybe use words like 'challenging' or 'difficult'. Don't try to get more participants by making it sound easier than it is! You're only going to end up with disappointed runners.

Secondly, athletes sweat, even in the winter. If you don't plan on providing water (especially on a difficult course!) then please advertise this! Running 3 miles without water may be a regular occurance for many runners but it's completely different when you're running 3 miles of hills at full throttle. Even if it's not a safety issue it is still a comfort issue. Dry winter air left my throat burning and not being able to quench it was maddening!



As a continuation on water, there shouldn't be a line for water post-finish. I have run races that numbered in the tens of thousands and been able to get water and banana within a minute of finishing. Don't be cheap and fill a huge water dispenser thing from the kitchen faucet. Go ahead and buy bottles so that the runners can grab and go instead of having to line up to get a cup and then line up again to fill it! If your concern with bottles is the environment then set up a recycling bin. Runners are, for the most part, conscientious and will oblige.

Third, and the thing I'm most upset about, don't just recognize the top finishers! Even races with 50 participants tend to give age group awards and there's a reason for this! Please bear with me as I try to explain.

No one likes to feel like they're best effort isn't good enough. This is the reason half marathons and up almost always give finishers medals. It recognizes the achievement of every person out there, even the ones who finish dead last. Believe me, I've been that person and getting a medal at the end soothes the chagrin.



I don't know that a 5k or a 10k necessarily needs finishers medals although I've seen it done. But I do believe that we should recognize achievements of all ages and levels. This is why age group awards are important! That 25 year old man who took the overall award may be winning for the fifth year in a row. That 30-something woman may not care that she is taking home another award. I hear stories of runners who win all the time taking their medals home and tossing them in the garage or a box. Maybe they donate them to Medals 4 Mettle, which is an awesome program.

But if you don't give age group awards because you think no one cares you are dead wrong! I won my first age group award almost 1 year ago to the day today. I waited through all the post-race hoopla and overall awards announcements only to realize they weren't giving age group awards. I went home heart broken. I had FINALLY 'succeeded' and reached one of my goals only to have that achievement brushed aside by a race director who told me it wasn't worth the money to give medals to people who didn't care about them and would just throw them in a box anyway.

Didn't it matter that *I* cared? Didn't it matter that it was my FIRST award and I was going home empty handed? Apparently, because this year the race director changed their policy and guess what? The field expanded exponentially, the talent pool was huge, and I had a great time without winning an age group award! I didn't mind because I ran my best race but it wasn't quite good enough this time. However, it gave me something to aim for next year. I'm not disappointed when my best isn't good enough. I'm disappointed when it is and no one cares.

That wasn't the only time it happened and each time has been painful for myself, my husband, my daughter, or the other runners who waited, sometimes hours, only to leave empty handed. Today was the last straw though. From now on my husband and I are boycotting races where age group awards are not being given (and it should go 3 deep!). If you're race is really small give out the top 2 in each category but if you have more than 100 runners spend the $1 per medal and give it to the top 3. The ones that are left over or left behind can be donated to the charity above or saved for the next year!

The race in question actually gave the top finishers $50 gift cards on top of medals. That money could easily have paid for 2 years worth of medals in a bulk order. When you're charging runners $20 or more to run make sure it's worth it or they won't be back! Not just the top male and female should leave happy!

Lastly, if you're having a post-race breakfast, lunch, or dinner and charging extra for it don't completely forget about the runners who may not want to indulge or may not have the money to. Set out at least some bananas or bagels for the 'regular' runners. Just because you're hosting your race at the country club doesn't mean everyone is a member!

Runners should not have to go home medal-less, hungry, and thirsty! Race directors, please don't focus on just the top runners. It's the middle- and back-of-the-packers that are providing most of your participants and income. If you don't appreciate them and recognize their achievements they won't come back. It's really that simple!

Have you dealt with this? Do you agree that age group awards are important? And what do YOU do with those medals anyway?

6 comments:

  1. Great post about a really tough situation. I think you hit "the nail on the head". Maybe email it to the race director.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I thought about sending it to the RD but since the race is in something like its 18th year I don't think they're going to change now. I just hate that so many people went home dissatisfied, especially first-time racers. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your entire post. Back in August, I actually placed for the first time in my age division and they never acknowledged it. I had run the same race 2 years prior and they did a whole awards ceremony, complete with plaques. I waited around for this, but they only recognized the overall winners for men and women. I don't really need the plaque but it would have been nice, espeically since that has been the only time I placed in my age group! I was disappointed and felt silly that I stuck around. I've also run races where they didn't have water along the route and I had to wait in line at the finish, and this was a fairly popular race! Another pet peeve? Running a race where they never get around to posting the race results. If you are going to time it complete with the clock, at least post the results, either online or just up on a board. I always want to know my "official" time.

    I have my medals and race bibs haning up in my computer room and yeah, maybe I'm like a kid, but it motivates me!

    So my big things? 1. Always have water available along the course, even if it's just a 5K. If you can't do that, don't hold the race. 2. age group awards, even if it's just a ribbon. 3. post race results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No water?!? I would definitely be talking with someone about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was involved with running the race and appreciate your input. We will definitely make some changes next year. One of the reasons we had a suggestion box at the breakfast was to get ideas on how to improve the experience for everyone. We have begun our post-race planning for next year and your blog will be part of our review. Hope to see you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thoughts all. And thanks to Chuck for taking the time to read, respond, and take it all into consideration!

    ReplyDelete