Sunday, October 28, 2012

Farmer's Inn

As Sandy moves in to attack the coast people are scrambling to buy generators, stockpile food, and fill up with gas. Shane and I aren't really the type to panic though. We made it through a weeklong blackout last winter by cooking on our propane camping stove and sleeping (dogs and all) on the pull out bed in the living room. In the end, all that mattered is we all survived no worse for wear (minus one hamster). So instead of spending our weekend worrying we decided to run instead!

Shane was already registered for the Farmer's Inn half marathon today but he was worried this wouldn't count towards him becoming a Half Fanatic. See you need 20 registered runners and at least 15 finishers for a race to count and, at last check, the Farmer's Inn had 16 registered. Shane decided that the best remedy was to sign me up and pray that 3 more people showed up this morning.

We woke up at 4am and got ready to drive the 2.5 hours to Sigel, PA. The Farmer's Inn is a neat little place with lots of different animals, mini golf, playgrounds, Amish furniture, a leather shop, a gift store and a restaurant. Any other time we would have had a great time exploring and shopping but today it was cold and raining and we were already exhausted from the Apocalypse 5k yesterday.

Staying warm in the car

I know what you're thinking... Steam Punk shirt plus butterfly arm warmers? Who taught you how to dress? The answer, of course, is 4am did. Coupled with the fact that I have exactly two sets of arm sleeves at present... butterflies or hearts. Oh well.

At 9am the race director sent us off with an air horn, all 24 of us. I took off as fast as my poor little legs could carry me and enjoyed the downhill portion of the first two miles. I had been warned that this course is 'rolling'. I think that's a misnomer. At 2.25 miles you start a climb from 1,300 feet up to 2,000 feet by mile 8. The remaining 5 miles are rolling if you're legs aren't totally destroyed. Unfortunately for me that wasn't the case.


Elevation profile
 
By the 10k mark I was just in it to finish. By mile 8 I was wondering if it really mattered anyway. The wind and misting rain were picking up and I couldn't feel my fingers, toes or nose. If I had been able to work the zipper on my SPIbelt I might have just called for a ride. As it was I just kept plugging along as best as I could manage. Running was the only way I could stay somewhat warm so I was forced to maintain a steady clip on all the manageable hills.
 
At the 10 mile mark there was an unmanned water stop (1 of 2 on the course). I carried my handheld so I didn't need water but there was a directional sign there. The arrow appeared to be pointing left so I turned onto a dirt road. About a quarter mile up the trail forked and there was no indication of which way to go. I looked at the ground and realized I didn't see any other footprints in the mud. I almost cried realizing I must have gone off course. I made my way back to the water stop and looked up the road. I could see a few empty bottles on the side of the pavement and realized I was supposed to go straight. I don't know what was wrong with the arrow or if someone thought it was funny to switch it but I lost a lot of time here and probably would have quit if there would have been a volunteer at the stop.
 
As I pulled myself out of my funk and continued to chug along I got colder and colder. My hands were swollen, my feet felt like bricks, and I couldn't even zip up my jacket. All I could focus on was the hot buffet waiting at the end, free to all runners. Half a mile from the finish I spotted a bright yellow hoody coming my way. Oh Hallelujah! It was Shane and he'd come out to find me and get me to the finish. I checked my Garmin for the first time in many miles and realized I could still beat my slowest half time (2:29). We jogged up the lane and I crossed the mat in 2:27:12.
 
I was 22nd of 23 finishers and 2nd in my age group (out of 3). I would have had to run a 2:05 to place today and that just wasn't going to happen with the elevation of the course and the condition of my legs. Overall, I'm just glad it's over and Shane and I can qualify for the Half Fanatics if we so choose.
 
 Finisher's Trophy
 
Shirt
 
Shane goofing off
 
So for a final recap of October:
10/6 - Central Elementary 5k - 24:27 (new PR), 2nd woman
10/13 - Baltimore Marathon - 4:36 (new PR)
10/20 - Runner's World 5k & 10k - 27:39 & 59:30
10/21 - Runner's World Half - 2:20
10/27 - Apocalypse 5k - 26:26, 4th woman, 1st in age group
10/28 - Farmer's Inn Half - 2:27, 2nd in age group

Final summary: OUCH! :)

1 comment:

  1. Would you do this race again? My friend and I are thinking about making the 2.5 hr trip from Akron, OH. There just isn't a lot of info about it and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete