Friday, October 19, 2012

Runner's World Festival

Today marked day 2 (find day 1 here) of the Runner's World festival for the bloggers covering this FIRST TIME event. I still am blown away that Runner's World has never had its own race before! For an inaugural event I have to say they are knocking it out of the park!

Today started with an easy shake out run with Bart Yasso in our new Altra Zero Drop shoes. We did roughly 3.8 miles and covered a little of the 5k, 10k, and half marathon courses that I'll be running this weekend. I took advantage of the presence of Craig and Golden from Altra to talk shop. I think we ran through all of the ultras on my bucket list plus ones I'd never even heard of! The Altra guys aren't just shoe geeks, they are full on hardcore running freaks! I think I might be in love! (Shhhh!)

After our rainy-but-fun run
 
After the run we were treated to some dry clothes from Free Motion apparel. I ended up wearing the jacket all day! It is absolutely incredible with soft material, attractive styling and thumb holes! I would seriously cut thumb holes in all of my clothing if I wasn't afraid of screwing up my favorite pieces. We also were able to enjoy another delicious (and healthy) breakfast. I haven't eaten this well since I became a mom! I think I might be a little spoiled by the end of this weekend.
 
Free Motion gear
 
Fruit, bagels, coffe, and water... YUM!
 
Once our body temperature returned to something resembling normal again we were once again hanging with the Altra crew. This time Golden Harper gave us some tips on running form and helped us figure out what we were doing wrong. We had a question and answer session on the Altra shoes and why zero drop (not necessarily minimalist) is helpful to runners who want to perfect their form. It was all really interesting and I can't wait to work on my posture so Golden won't have anything to pick on next time I run into him!
 
Altra form clinic
 
Working on our form barefoot
 
Watching the video of my form
 
After we finished dissecting our form we moved onto a seminar with ICON and their new iFit app. We learned a lot about what they are planning to introduce and the capabilities of their products. I just downloaded my copy of the iFit app so you'll have to give me a few days to really figure it out. All I can say for sure is that it has the potential to be one of the best apps for fitness freaks ever invented!
 
iFit seminar
 
After the iFit Q&A session the blogger group was taken to another building in the ArtQuest complex. Surprise, surprise! Shalane Flanagan was waiting to answer our questions and personally greet each one of us. She was extremely down to earth and honest and even a little shy. Shalane has a habit of twisting her hair as she talks that just reminds you how human the 'Assassin in compression socks' actually is. I got some great video of her answers to several questions and I can't wait to share them as soon as I get them uploaded!
 
Shalane and I. I look like an amazon next to her!
 
I got her autograph!
 
Shalane and the media group
 
After Shalane had graciously signed autographs for everyone in the media group and answered all of our questions two big names in Runner's World joined us. Jen Van Allen, co-author of the Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon Training, and Megan, the Social Media genius behind RW's Twitter page, answered our questions and talked about Runner's World's first race and how they choose stories and articles. It was all really interesting and lots of fun to talk about the stories that struck a chord with us and ask more about them. Then it was time for my favorite part of the day! Lunch!
 
After lunch at the hotel (turkey wrap, pasta salad, salad, water, and cookies) it was time to go back to the expo to get our shopping on! I can say one thing for the FitFluential crew... We can sure clean out a running expo! I came back with a new stick, two more books, three shirts, a hat, and a running skirt!
 
I should have brought another bag to get this all home!
 
I also had the insanely good luck of getting two of my three books autographed. Jen Van Allen, Amby Burfoot, and David Willey all wrote kind words of inspiration inside the covers of their respective works. I haven't even read the books yet but they're already my new favorites!


 
 
Before we left the expo for dinner, I had the opportunity to get my picture taken for the cover of Runner's World. Well, not for real but I can pretend. Actually once you see the photo you'll see that I suck at pretending. My fake run looks more like I'm about to knock someone out. Maybe I should take up boxing?
 
Why is this arrown pointing at everyone's crotch?!
 
After my brush with fame we headed out to the Bethlehem Brew Works for dinner and socializing. I had fish tacos and a pumpkin ale. Both were amazing but the food didn't survive long enough to get it's picture taken. Twenty-six hungry runners don't take long to demolish good grub! It was delicious and I would highly recommend it if you're ever on this side of PA.
 
Carb Loading
 
Now I must try to sleep because tomorrow begins the true craziness! 5k and 10k in the morning and then a half marathon on Sunday! Bring on the Hat Trick!
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Sooo excited for tomorrow! Love your recap of today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so awesome to meet you! Hope we cross paths again soon!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a blast! I wish I was there! Have a blast for me :)
    www.runstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you could have made it! It was a great weekend. I had plenty of fun for both of us! ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a blast! I heard about it from Harold (the only guy there other than RW people it looks like). He said it was an awesome experience. I hope your races went well today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a great time and I loved finally meeting Harold. Maybe next time they'll send two guys huh?

      Delete
  4. oh your little cover picture came out soo cute :) Seriously thanks for running with me during the 10K start you got my legs going and it was really nice to get to know you better...I may just be considering an ultra now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great running with you too! I hope there's an ultra in your future. They really are an amazing experience!

      Delete