Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Germ Ninja

I'm giving myself this as a new title. Forget degrees, professional accreditations, or fancy business cards I'm all about the covert ops! Actually I'm all about staying healthy for ten more days while I'm surrounded by sneezing, coughing, feverish people.

My boss is sick and so is Gemma. I can avoid contact with my boss through modern technology but it's kind of hard to hug a kid by text message. Gem has been sick since last Thursday and I kept telling myself it was nothing major. Every day she'd head off to school and every day she'd spike a fever around lunch time and get sent home.

I finally decided to keep her home today (I learn quickly) and spent the whole day deep cleaning the house. I don't know if that actually helps anything or not but it makes me feel better about missing work, Gem missing school, and trying to not be sick for the second time in Baltimore (I was sick for the 5k in 2009).

I washed every bit of bedding, blankets, hand towels, laundry, and rugs in the house. I bleached every hard surface and used enough Lysol and Febreeze to choke a horse. I also took the time to clean out closets and toyboxes and bookshelves. It felt good to declutter a little so maybe taper madness isn't ALL bad? (Yeah, I know, I'm rationalizing my insanity.)

I also took Gem to the walk-in clinic. They didn't find anything wrong so we're trying a 5 day course of antibiotics to see if it helps. Now I'm broke, crazy, and overly clean.... Gotta love taper time!

How do you stay healthy pre-race? Do you turn into a germ ninja when someone is sick in your house close to a goal race?

No comments:

Post a Comment