Thursday, October 11, 2012

Chasing a Dream

As I sit in my bed wide awake and kind of freaking out I can't help but think I'm insane. I'm insane because I'm running my fourth marathon in 36-ish hours. I'm insane because I woke up with a raging head cold but I still think I can PR in Baltimore. I'm insane because I'm already consoling myself with the knowledge that I have marathon #5 in another month if I crash and burn this weekend. I'm insane because, to distract myself, I'm checking out my possible race calendar for 2013.

So far I have committed to North Coast 24 Hour in April. I've been wanting to do a 24 hour race all year and I haven't had the opportunity. I want to set a distance PR as a way to finally lead to my first 100 mile finish. I always fall apart around the 100k mark in my 100 mile attempts. In a 24 hour race I'll have the opportunity to fall apart and put myself back together several times if necessary. I think it will help me learn to overcome my issues with the onset of darkness.



The other 'must' on my list is the Laurel Highlands Ultra 70.5 miler. I figure it's got a lot going for it. A) It's close to home. B) It's not that much farther than 100k so it's a great stepping stone to 100 miles C.) It's absolutely gorgeous and insanely challenging.

The big question mark in front of me is whether or not to make another 100 mile attempt in 2013. After volunteering at Burning River 100 this year I am sorely tempted to make it my first finish. The course is daunting but beautiful and the aid stations and volunteers were amazing. I haven't quite forgotten how much the first two attempts hurt and just how big of a blow to my ego failure was. (I'm still not really over it.) But I can never succeed if I don't try so something tells me that I'll be there in July 2013. Plus I really want the medal too!

 
And if I can do that then I might just have to head back to Oil Creek for my second buckle! Afterall I need to fill up the new extension bars Shane added to our Allied Medal Hangers! ;)



Are you planning for 2013 yet? Are you afraid to tackle something you really want? What's holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment