Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Can Die Happy Now

If this weekend is anything like today then I've reached the pinnacle of my running career. Just take me now so I can die happy lord! The Runner's World 5k, 10k, and half marathon are here and I am just unbelievably excited!

I drove 5 hours to Bethlehem, PA today and arrived at my hotel around 3PM. I checked in and was immediately presented with a STELLAR schwag bag. It has it all plus some vouchers for freebies at the expo and backstage passes for a few of the tents and demos. Runner's World and FitFluential really hooked us up!


At 5PM an AMAZING (am I using enough superlatives yet?!) luxury bus pulled up and whisked us off to Runner's World headquarters. I thoroughly enjoyed the leather seats and bar stocked with bottled water (what else for a group of fitness freaks). I got to chat with many of the bloggers I've admired and worked with but never met face to face before. I've never enjoyed a 30 minute drive so much in my life!

Snakes on a Plane Bloggers on a Bus
 
Runner's World HQ
 
We arrived at RW HQ just in time to greet the editors and then sit down for a fully catered meal of amazing local and organic foods. There were veggie burgers, real burgers, hot dogs, salad, pasta salad, potato salad, and plenty of desserts. I gorged myself while I gossiped with the other bloggers and the RW staff members. I got the low down on the courses for the 5k, 10k, and half this weekend. I ate a lot, learned a lot, and laughed a lot. This was exactly how race weekend should kick off!
 

It didn't take long to demolish the buffet
 
Hanging out with a blurry Amby Burfoot
 
Running legend, Bart Yasso
 
Editor at Large, Mark Remy
 
Once we had all eaten our fill it was time for our clinic with Altra Zero Drop shoes. These shoes are already in my arsenal as I use the Intuition 1.0 as my every day, casual shoe. But I never turn down a chance to try something new. I tried on the new Intuition and was thrilled that they're now PINK! However, I was wowed by the Superior. It's a light weight, neutral trail shoe with a removable rock plate. I chose to go with the Superior instead of the updated Intuition 1.5. Tomorrow the Altra guys promised to let me try out a pair of the Lone Peaks as well. Either way I'm going home with kickass new trail running shoes from Altra!
 
L to R: Provisioness (stability), Intuition (neutral), Intuition, Superior (trail), Intuition
 
After everyone was fitted we headed off for a tour of the Runner's World Headquarters. I got to see where all the magic happens, from photographers to editing to Bart Yasso's office. I even got to eat some of a giant Brooks chocolate egg!
 
Bart Yasso's office door

Picture in Bart's office (There's no "I" in team, but there's an ass in Yasso)

Giant Brooks Egg

Eating the egg

Men's Health covers from different countries

Apparently Men's Health Brazil is a little more risque than the US version

Rave Run pics

Runner's World covers

After the tour ended we gathered in the RW lawn for some s'mores over a small fire. RW's Laura Beachy tells us that tomorrow's going to be even more amazing but right now I just can't imagine how! It's going to be super hard to go back to real life after this weekend!
 
Apparently bloggers become possessed when toasting marshmallows late at night

 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. It really was! I wish I could have taken all my running friends! You should definitely try to make it up next year!

    ReplyDelete