Saturday, October 27, 2012

We Survived the Apocalypse!

No, I don't mean the 'frankenstorm' that is supposed to strike the east coast in the next couple days. I mean the Alpha Fitness Apocalypse 5k this morning. After 6 races in 4 weeks, most of them hilly, my legs are in full on rebellion.

The Apocalypse started right on time at 9am and went up the Yough River Trail, through a hilly section and then turned around and came back. Mile 1 was mostly flat and I clocked an 8:10 per my Garmin. Mile 2 I hit the hills, the turnaround, and more hills. Garmin clocked 8:43. Mile 3 was better as it covered the same ground as mile 1. I think it showed as a 8:2x on the Garmin. Final showing was 3.14 miles and 26:26. That was good enough for 4th woman and 1st in my age group.


I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't drag a better response out of my legs. If I had run within 30 seconds of my 5k PR I could have taken a podium place and gotten a really cool trophy with flames on it. Oh well. Better luck next year! Shane and his mother both got first in their age groups as well. Ash and Gemma probably could have gotten age group awards if they'd gone more than one deep.

On the fun side I got a lot of compliments on my INKnBURN skeleton shirt. And Shane said my new purple highlights look very Halloween-ish (that is NOT the look I was actually going for). Now it's time to relax with the kids for a bit until we all head over to the neighborhood church for a Halloween party tonight. Then tomorrow I guess I'm running a half marathon with Shane. He just informed me of this today! LOL. Such is life in a running family I guess.

Purple highlights
 
Off to catch up on homework, FaceBook stalking and housework. I'll be back tomorrow to update on race number 7 for the month (I think)!

No comments:

Post a Comment