Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Stronger By The Minute

The last couple weeks have been really hard! And that's not a complaint. In fact, I'm ecstatic. I am tougher than I realized. I've been taking my weaknesses and working on making them strengths. I've been putting in miles when I'd rather sleep, watch TV, eat something, or play with my kids. Maybe I won't always be a back/middle of the pack runner?

For example, I did speed work today. A one mile warm up, 20 x 1 minute at 7:30 pace with 1 minute recovery job between repeats, and 1 mile cool down. I would have preferred a 2 mile warm up and cool down but the little one was out of patience early on today. And running for 20 minutes total at faster than 5k pace was daunting! In the end I finished with 10k at 9:40 average pace. That in itself is not that impressive but the fact that I wanted to die (or slow down) after 4 repeats yet I still finished 20 is! By 15 I realized something. It didn't feel quite so awful anymore. My legs and lungs were developing a rhythm. The recovery jogs now felt awkward and out of sync rather than the repeats. It was odd and kind of inspiring. By the end of the 20th interval I felt like I could do more. I didn't really want to but I knew I *could*!

I spend a lot of time in my home gym and on my treadmill and one thing that's really helping me is gathering inspirational memorabilia. We have two displays in the basement like this. The first is a Bill Rodgers signed print. He won the Boston Marathon FOUR times! It really helps to look at that and think that what I'm doing doesn't even compare to what he must have been running. It also helps to remember that even the fastest and strongest runners have moments of weakness. At the bottom it says, "To be a winner means preparing not just one day, one month, or even one year - but for a lifetime." I may not be better tomorrow or next week but you bet I will be next month and next year!

Someday I will see the Boston finish line!
 
The second display is Shane and I's autographed 'cards' from elite athletes. It really helps me to remember that I have met Shalane Flanagan and Amy Yoder-Begley and they are real women. They have aches and pains and bad days. They like junk food and don't have superhuman willpower any more than the rest of us do. They just set their sights on a goal and then make choices that make those goals possible. Whether that goal is a 4:29:59 marathon or a world record, it's a great lesson in perseverance for everyone.
 
 
I'll never be a world-class athlete but there's no reason I can't be better than last year or last race! And I'll keep imagining that day when I qualify for Boston or finish my first one hundred or age group at a major race. Because I know one day I will achieve anything I put the work into.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment