Friday, December 14, 2012

Counting Blessings

This week is going so much better than the last couple. I'm finally feeling the extra energy from training instead of feeling tired all the time. I've been catching up on housework and homework. I've even been playing more with the kids. And after the news about the shootings in Connecticut today I'm really glad that I have. I'm not going to rehash it any further than saying my heart breaks for the families and friends and everyone affected.

Ash squishing me on the couch a few days ago.
 
I've been thinking about how lucky I am this week and how happy I am that I have a perfectly average life. I have a husband and kids and dogs and mountains of laundry and homework and dishes. I also have the ability to run and lift heavy weights and give back to the community. I signed up to volunteer for a 5k race in a few weeks. The race is being put together by Team Odyssey and benefits the Children's Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation. Being able to give my time to help such a good cause feels very good and I hope it will make a small difference to a family affected by this disease.
 
Blessed to be able to move
 
As I finish up finals this week I can hardly believe that I only have 12 classes left! I can't believe I'm going to have a 'real' degree before I'm 30. I also can't believe I'm going to be 28 in less than 2 weeks! There is just so much going on that makes my life amazing.
 
 My living room transformed into a train station yesterday.
 
I love being a small part of wonderful brands and companies. FitFluential, INKnBURN, and Aquaphor have all touched my life and my training. And now I've applied to be an Altra Zero Drop ambassador! I'll find out in only a few weeks if I've been accepted. (Feel free to tell them how awesome I am!) Either way I'm still in love with their shoes. I've been running in my Superiors more and more and I'm hoping they'll be the shoe that gets me through my first one hundred at Burning River.
 
Altras in Action
 
I'm loving every minute of my trail runs. I feel stronger, faster, happier... I'm blessed to have a trail just out my back door to run on. For the kids, the dogs, my own mental health I appreciate having that crushed limestone right outside.
 
Happy trails....
 
Everything in life is really about perspective. And I've realized that everything hard about life is what makes it worth it. When my muscles ache, my lungs burn, my feet blister, my mind gets foggy with fatigue and trying to force knowledge into it, my hands dry out from dish washing, etc. I need to remember that life is worth living and celebrating every day. And I will choose to celebrate by moving, breathing, enjoying and even indulging a little sometimes.... like those cookies at the race meeting! ;)
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to make you appreciate the little things in life, and hug your kids a little tighter.

    On a lighter note, I just signed up to volunteer at a 5K. It's the first time I've ever volunteered at a race and I'm excited about being able to GIVE instead of TAKE!

    ReplyDelete